VMware Cloud Community
mark_a_k
Contributor
Contributor

vm configured as networker storage node

Is it possible to configure a VM as a networker dedicated storage node. my objective is to backup the data on the VM (800gb) directly to tape over fibre channel rather than over the network. The networker compatibility guide indicates that this is supported but i am interested in hearing if anyone has done this yet?

I would present the shared tape devices to the fibre card in the esx server. at this stage what would i have to do to prepare the drives for use? do i need to confugure the tape devices at the esx (linux) level or just make sure that the esx server can see them?

Then what next? how do i present the shared tape devices to the VM?

regards, Mark

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sthoppay_wipro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Edit setting of that VM & try to add the SCSI device.

att_118
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

This was something i have queried both our EMC DSE as well as our resident VMware source a number of times up until the announcement of 3.5. We concluded that this simply cannot be implemented in a supported fashion, looking at the current compatibility I will get my DSE to clarify the running of storage node within a VM as it does look like its supported. But.. with the current compatibility matrix.. there is a clause there reading "NOTE: VMWare DOES NOT support any tape drives on a SAN. For details please refer to ESX documentation". Which basically means what you are trying to do is not supported Smiley Sad

0 Kudos