VMware Cloud Community
mark_a_k
Contributor
Contributor

which physical adapter is used if there are 2 per virtual switch

Hi, I have a virtual switch with 2 physical network adapters. Both network cards are connected but one will run at 1000mb and the other at 100mb. I would like the 1000mb card to be used unless there is a failure. In the event of a failure i would like the 100mb card to be used. Presently both netcards are currently listed under vSwitch Properties -> NIC teaming -> active adapters. How can I be sure that the 1000mb card is being used? Should i have one netcard under active adapters and the 100mb card under standby adapters?

Also, if i eventually have 2 1000mb cards should they both be listed under active adapters and in this case will both cards be used or just one - and again, if just one is used then which card would be used. Would it be ther 1st in the list or the 2nd - or does vmware pick a random card?

Thanks for any tips.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

How can I be sure that the 1000mb card is being used?

Make the 100Mbit card the standby adapter.

if i eventually have 2 1000mb cards should they both be listed under active adapters and in this case will both cards be used or just one

Both will be used. How the load balancing actually is done depends on the load balancing settings. These settings are explained in the Server Configuration Guide page 58 and 59.

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

Do you know how to determin which pNIC a vm is using?

0 Kudos
mreeds
Contributor
Contributor

In VIC look under the 'Configuration > Networking> Virtual Switch: vSwitch? > Properties > vSwitch? Properties> Network Adapters > Adapter Details and from there note the adaptor Location: PCI ?????. It is here you will be determine what pNIC VIC is reporting the VM is using. Of course the reporting in VIC is what the OEM hardware is serving so it can be wrong so I suggest if you have 1 NIC per vSwitch than ading another one to each would allow you to put one of them in 'Standby' mode providing redundancy as well as insurance when performing physical connectivity test, especially if your verifying the SC's vSwitch. If not I would recommend only verifying an VM Network or if you have a dev/test ESX then that's much safer. Let me know if this answers your question.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Check which vswitch the vm is connected to, and then which pnic is primary for that vswitch.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos