VMware Communities
Geoffrey84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

BitLocker encryption failed with "The data is invalid" error message

MacBook Pro M2 Max Sonoma Beta

Windows 11 x64 ARM Enterprise Virtual machine

Unable to encrypt the local hard drive with BitLocker - When attempting to turn on BitLocker I received the error message "The data is invalid".

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I just created a brand new Windows 11 ARM 22H2 Professional 22621.1702 VM on the Tech Preview running on Ventura 13.4.1 c . The VMware Tools are installed from the Tech Preview. I was able to turn on Bitlocker successfully.

I also opened the TPM Management app in the VM and see that the TPM manufacturer is VMW (which I assume is VMware) version 2.101.0.1.

Can you give some additional details on the VM that you created? I wouldn't think that Sonoma would have an impact on how VMware's vTPM behaves.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Geoffrey84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I disconnected the MacBook Pro from my external monitor and power source, then rebooted the virtual machine and was able to successfully encrypt the system drive via BitLocker.

0 Kudos
DhairyaT
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Geoffrey84 You can try again by following below steps:

1) Power off the VM.

2) Go to VM settings->Go to CD/DVD settings.

3) Unselect the checkbox "Connect CD/DVD Drive"

4) Power on the VM and try the Bitlocker encryption again.

0 Kudos
Geoffrey84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your help!

When first attempting to encrypt the internal drive I received a pop-up warning in Windows 11 that the CD/DVD drive needed to be disconnected.  However, this didn't solve my issue.

I was finally able to encrypt via BitLocker by removing my MacBook from all external connections, such as the external monitor, power adapter and Logitech joystick, and repeatedly shutting down and restarting the Virtual Machine while trying again until I finally got past the first step.  Several restarts were required but my internal hard drive is now encrypted.

The Logitech 3D Extreme joystick connected to my USB port, however, has never been recognised in the virtual machine, despite plugging it into all available USB connectors as well as through the external monitor.  Not sure why, but I noted that under Hardware Devices there is no listing for the joystick controller, which is recognised in my Parallels Desktop VM and installed automatically by Windows after the first plug-in.