VMware Communities
stefantimm
Contributor
Contributor

German keyboard layout missing special keys

Thanks to the official and unofficial guides, I had no problems installing Windows 11 ARM as a VM under Fusion 2023 Tech Preview.

The only thing I noticed so far is that the special keys don't work. The keyboard of my M2 Mac mini is German, so in Sonoma (I did a fresh install when it was released) I can easily get "@" by typing Option-L, "\" by typing Shift-Option-7 and so on.

This does also work out of the box in my Windows 11 VM on my Intel iMac (VMware Fusion 13.0.2 Pro, Windows 11 Pro).

While there may be ways to fix the mappings in Windows somehow (are there?), I was thinking if this works on Intel right away, maybe it should on ARM, too.

I used the w11arm_esd2iso to create the Windows 11 ARM ISO, I selected en-us when asked to choose a language. In Windows, I selected the keyboard German.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
stefantimm
Contributor
Contributor

I did a bit more experimenting and here is something interesting:

I got my hands on an official Microsoft ISO of Windows 11 Pro ARM 22H2 Build 22621.2283.

Here the keyboard worked as expected.

The install with the issue was from the same Build, but created using the w11arm_esd2iso method.

So there must be some problem there. Looks like neither VMware nor Microsoft need to do something ...

There are a few other posts, so I'm not alone with the problem.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
felsensepp
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,
Another user from the German part of Europe 😀
Is there a solution how I can use the numeric keypad under VMware? So far I have not managed to activate it.
Do you have a solution?
Greetings from Switzerland
Hans

0 Kudos