VMware Communities
TheDarkTrumpet
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu Server (with 3d acceleration) - Copy/Paste and Graphical "Slowness"/refresh

Good morning,

I'm noticing a bit of a "weird behavior" of sorts, well - 2 of them actually.  They're not super big deals, but figured it's worth asking about anyways incase it's some bug in the driver.

Case 1: Copy/Select in Kitty (terminal)

I use the terminal, Kitty, fairly often on multiple machines.  Machines with graphical acceleration (which is what Kitty utilizes).  I noticed that with graphic acceleration turned off, the terminal allows functionality pretty much exactly as it is on my mac.  Copy text, paste, etc.  On my linux box (physical), Kitty also operates as expected.  The configuration is no different between the two executions (graphical acceleration and non).  But, at least on the M2, selecting text doesn't work properly.  In the background, it's selecting the text, but there's no visual indication of it.

The only thing different is graphics acceleration - same conflig/etc. and the behavior is different.

Case 2: Jetbrains Tools and window "refresh"

Another weird issue is some of the Jetbrains tools.  What can happen while running it is that the entire IDE will turn black, and segments of the GUI will show back to normal.  Usually when highlighting or trying to interact with the section turned black.  So far, only PHPStorm has had this issue.

I noticed too that refresh of certain elements can be incredibly slow, much more than the same app on OSX proper - but that may be a Jetbrains thing more than anything else.

Specs/Setup:

- M2 with 64Gb of RAM

- Ubuntu has 32Gb of RAM allocated to it, and 2Gb of virtual memory for graphics.

I haven't found any error showing up in dmesg, nor anything online about either of these issues so far.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Which version of Ubuntu and what kernel version is it running?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
TheDarkTrumpet
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the late reply.  From when you helped me earlier on that.   I'm using Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS, using the 5.19.0-46-generic kernel (based off the linux-image-generic-hwe-22.04 package)

0 Kudos
DhairyaT
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@TheDarkTrumpet If you can share video of this behavior, it will be very helpful.

0 Kudos