VMware Horizon Community
mcrampton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Allow users to choose their desktop

Hi, we're experimenting with VMware View 5.1 and I have a question about functionality.

Is it possible to setup a desktop pool with a number of VM's in it, and to let the user connecting choose the VM he hits? This would be great as we're hosting some VM's for a project which will have users from an outside company connecting and we'd like to use View to manage the access, as well as providing a PCoIP connection for improved performance and dual monitor capabilities.

So, just to make sure I'm clear. If User A logs on and choses Pool A, he would then be able to select Desktop 1, Desktop 2, or Destkop 3. If he selects Desktop 1 and then User B connects to Pool A, he would only see Desktop 2 and Desktop 3.

Is this possible?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
rvdl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there,

As far as i know there is no possibility to let users chose a desktop once they chosen to connect to a desktop pool.

You can hower create an automated pool that has dedicated user assignment instead of floating.

This means that users receive the same desktops each time they log into the pool.

You can also manually assign specific desktops from this pool to these users.

View administrators assign desktops to users and users can only choose between pools they are assigned to by the View administrators.

I hope this can help you.

0 Kudos
nshetty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

You could think of using  Kiosk mode.

--Nitin Shetty

0 Kudos