VMware Horizon Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Backups of View templates, etc.

Hey All,

What products are people using for backups for View?  Just the same products used for server virtualization?

I am really interested in investigating API-integrated backups that can lift files directly from the data store.

For View, I am mostly interested in backing up the parent VM's/templates, and a few .ISO's kept on the data store.

Our server virtualization environment is still using traditional agent-style backups.

If there are any *great* products out there that people are using, let me know.

Thanks,
Drew

0 Kudos
3 Replies
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

my experience with avamar has been very positive. its expensive though.

avamar is "vmware aware" and supports both agentless and agent based backups. For agentless backups it takes a full backup of the .vmdk and then thereafter is backups only the deltas.

0 Kudos
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

also shouldnt the replicas be backed up as well??

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks, I'll look into that one.  It seems like there are tons of third party products out there, it is challenging to find the best of breed.

I have a buddy who uses Comm Vault.   I am also looking into Symantec Netbackup VMprotection, and today I found out about VMware Data Recovery.

I don't think the replicas need to be backed up.  If memory serves, they are dynamically re-created by the connection server when clones are provisioned to a LUN without a replica present.

Drew

0 Kudos