VMware Horizon Community
bchris999
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon View 5.3 Local Mode

I am having trouble getting Local Mode working with View / vSphere latest.

The error I am getting is: "The desktop cannot be checked out. The client does not support the virtual machine's hardware version".

My template is VM Hardware 10. I cannot see anything in the documentation / release notes to say this isn't supported. The only references I can find it it has to be over a certain version.

Can anyone help? Or is this a case for VMware support?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
mpryor
Commander
Commander

The local mode client supports up to HWv9 (since v5.2 of the client). HWv10 is not supported and the error message is correct.

Please use HWv9 for pools where you need support for Local Mode.

Mike

0 Kudos
bchris999
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Mike, that's what I thought. (Annoying as vSphere 5.5 creates VMs by default with version 10).

Can you point me to where in the documentation it mentions this for future reference please?

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander

Actually, I think this has slipped through the cracks since the client releases were separated out from the main View infrastructure releases. Typically virtual hardware support has lagged a little, e.g. with 5.0 it didn't support HWv8 to begin with: VMware View 5.0 Documentation Center

I suspect what happened is that because View infrastructure moved forward but there wasn't a matching client released as part of it, there was nothing to track the limitation. It should have been included when support for vSphere 5.5 was announced in the release notes. I raised an internal note to track this for the next 5.3.x server release.

0 Kudos
bchris999
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Mike, I have re-composed my pool with a VM on hardware version 9 and it got one stage further.

I am now getting the following: "Transfer server requires appropriate hardware version for sapce efficient disks. Please contact your system administrator." This then pauses the checkout.

My transfer server is running VM hardware version 8. Does this also need to be upgraded to match the template VM version?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
bchris999
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander

bchris999 wrote:

Sorry, this is in the documentation: http://pubs.vmware.com/view-52/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/horizon-view-52-installation.pdf Page 12.

Yep, we at least remembered that one Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander

Good news, the 5.3 release notes have been updated to make this clear:

VMware Horizon View Release Notes

VMware View Client with Local Mode does not support virtual machines with virtual hardware version 10 (HWv10). You will not be able to check out these virtual machines. In vSphere 5.5, virtual machines are created with virtual hardware v10 by default.

Workaround: Create virtual machines with virtual hardware v9 (HWv9) when you create desktop pools for use in local mode.

0 Kudos