VMware Horizon Community
RHamaker
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon View Machine local network access

Guys/Gals, is there any way to give a horizon view machine access to the remote network i am connecting to it on?  Hang on, here is my scenario and I KNOW it is convoluted but right now it is one of my only/best options. 

I have a remote site that is disconnected from my primary site.  My primary site is a non-internet facing network except a security server that allows me to connect to my primary site from externally.  I am having to move about 80 people to a remote site and eventually there will be a VPN tunnel between the two but for the next 8-12 months i have to utilize what i have in place (and i cant open any more connections externally). 

I would like to put a RODC or a branch cache windows domain controller at the remote site for authentication but cannot find a good way for replication to happen.  I was hoping i might be able to install the horizon agent on a DC locally and add it to the pool as a dedicated machine.  Then connect to it daily from my remote site and force a synchronization between it and a RODC.  The issue is, once i make the connection through horizon i will need the connected DC to appear on the offsite network for replication to happen. 

I already have file sharing enabled between my hview machines and their host machine, but i am not sure if what i am trying to accomplish is even something supported by vmware. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
techguy129
Expert
Expert

It is not supported to install the horizon agent on a domain controller. The agent has a pre-check to see if the server is a domain controller.

Horizon is a not a VPN therefore you're not going to be able to tunnel traffic between the client and agent. You need a VPN solution in your case. As for a vpn solution, I'm not going to give you the best answer. Only thing I can suggest is you may be able to  accomplish a connection using Hamachi (vpn.net) if you cannot open up any more external connections.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm going to second techguy129​. What you need is a VPN.

0 Kudos