VMware Horizon Community
KenRingsen
Contributor
Contributor

How can I clone an in-use VM for troubleshooting?

I'm trying to clone a VM so I can troubleshoot an upgrade failure while the user continues to use the original non-upgraded VM.

I have a full machine VDI WinXP VM on ESX 4.0 and View 4.5.

A snapshot of the VM was taken and a software upgrade was performed.  This upgrade failed.

The VM was reverted to the snapshot which returned the VM to functional (without upgrade) and it had to be returned to the user.

To troubleshoot the failure without disrupting the user, I want to clone the VM and troubleshoot the clone.  This part isn't going as expected.  The steps taken were:

1. Cloned the in-use VM.
  2. Using the vCenter console I booted the clone with networking disabled, disconnected from the domain and renamed the machine.
  3. Booted with networking enabled and reattached to the domain with a new AD computer object.
  4. Since the failure involves PCoIP disruption, I need to add this VM to a new View manual pool.
  5. When attempting to add the VM to the Manual Pool, I get the message "The following virtual machines may be in use by another View environment." and cannot add the VM to the pool.
  6. Thinking it was a View Agent identifier, I tried deleting the View Agent Identity key in HKLM\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\Node Manager to no avail.
  7. Also tried deleting Agent Private Key and Broker Public Key just in case, also to no avail.  They all just repopulated.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to modify this procedure so I can re-upgrade and troubleshoot the clone?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mpryor
Commander
Commander

"The following virtual machines may be in use by another View environment." is a warning rather than blocking error, you should be able to ignore it and continue. If you can't, you can clear the existing View configuration information from the VM by editing the .vmx file and removing the machine.id configuration line. The registry data you see in the VM is being automatically populated based on that field.

Mike

0 Kudos
KenRingsen
Contributor
Contributor

You're right.  Proceeding through the notice added it into View without disrupting the user.  Thanks for your confirmation on that.

0 Kudos