VMware Horizon Community
IP2008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to protect a ThinApp share?

When streaming apps from a ThinApp share what methods are people using protect the share? I've heard DFS could be used but interested to know if anyone has used any other methods?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

What do you want to protect if from and what is your RTO/RPO?

There is all the options that exist to protect fileshares from downtime on a windows fileshare, VMware HA could be one option but there are many other like MIcrosoft Cluster, DNS Roundrobin, NLB, DFS, and thirdparty like Neverfail.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
IP2008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We will be hosting lots and lots of apps on a file share hosted on a Windows server. My concerns are what happens if the server goes down and wanted peoples experiences of how they have protected against this?

0 Kudos
IP2008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No real life examples \ experiences from anyone??

Thanks

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I think Linjo is correct in that there are many different ways to protect a file share.    You mention a Windows server so am I safe to assume you are hosting the ThinApp share off a Windows box.   if that's the case you could use some kind of VM backup technology to backup the VM or an in guest agent to perform backups.   You also could take advantage of HA or FT to provide uptime for the box. 

0 Kudos