VMware Horizon Community
Instant0Darth0V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Instant Clones - Windows 10, 7.2 Horizon and sub 20 second logins!

I am a long time horizon view admin, but my 1st crack at Instant Clone running enterprise version of 7.2

I cant say how much I am now in the tank for instant clones!!!

Forget about the thought that you cant have a 'persistent desktop'

Forget about 'mandatory profiles'

This is really the bomb.

I dont have a 'persistent desktop', but I do!!!!

I can change the background image, rearrange icons and they stay where I put them on the desktop, save docs to docs folder, save pics, open Microsoft Edge and add bookmarks and they stay, change my homepage in Edge.....

All with a NON persistent instant clone. and no more Composer server and no more broken profiles.

The key for me was this:

1. Use Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB. Why? because it does not have Windows store and this speeds up login 100%. Although, you can use Windows 10 Enterprise (CB) and run a slick powerscript to remove the store and all the store apps.

2. optimize the image of course using the vmware optimizer

3. Load ALL the admx files for View, UEM AND Windows 10 admx files and make sure you created a Central Store for your GPO stuff.

4. Make sure Im using 2 CPU's for the windows 10 image

5. Finally, follow EVERY single step via this blog post from SvenHuisman.com

This guy's instructions were exactly what I needed and the key to sub 20 second login's with a instant clone.

https://svenhuisman.com/2017/03/windows-10-in-non-persistent-vdi-login-speed-part-1/

Anyways, Im new to instant clones. Just built a new computer room with a Nimble SAN that went live in July and now Im at the tail end of the puzzle with instant clones being the last piece and really have turned around from hating instant clones with a passion to thinking this is the greatest deal ever.

0 Replies