VMware Horizon Community
Marktps
Contributor
Contributor

Manually recreating view composer database

Due to a series of problem I had to reinstall view composer deleting the existing database (no backup...).

Now the View connection manager still contains reference to the machines but obviusly it cannot work because the SQL tables of composer are empty.

Is there a way to manually fill the tables to make the view connection and composer be "in touch" again?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I'm afraid without a backup of the original View Composer database you are going to be out of luck.     Hopefully it's just floating linked clone pools which should be easy to recreate.

0 Kudos
McPadawan
Contributor
Contributor

I find myself in the same situation, empty tables, but data in View Administrator.  This occurs after I upgraded to 5.1 from 5.0.  Were you able to get anywhere with your environment?

TIA

gene

0 Kudos
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

While we can't restore data to Composer based on the data in the Connection Server, each Connection Server should be taking a backup each day at 12am as long as you haven't altered the backup settings.

These backups are stored in the following location on your Connection Server:

C:\ProgramData\VMware\VDM\backups

Inside that folder you will find an LDF file and an SVI file for each day. There may be more than one SVI file if you have more than one vCenter with Composer configured in your Connection Server.

The SVI file can be restored to the database using the instructions in the View Admin Guide:

http://pubs.vmware.com/view-51/topic/com.vmware.view.administration.doc/GUID-75AD0DC0-F9B1-467B-89AE...

If the last good backup was from a version of Composer other than 3 you will need to install that version of Composer, restore the database and then run the upgrade again.

If it's still failing after that and you have a good backup please call support for assistance.

If you don't have a good backup then there isn't anything we can do to restore it.

-Mike

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_
0 Kudos
McPadawan
Contributor
Contributor

Sweet, that would have been an epic save, but looks like the backups only go 10 days back, I upgraded 17 days ago.  Very good information to know, so thank you for your time.

0 Kudos