VMware Horizon Community
coligher
Contributor
Contributor

PCoIP VMs drop second display when set to 1024x768

Hello all,

We've been using VIew 4 with PCoIP for about 2 weeks in a test, and finally rolled it out to a group of users late last week. Currently, we have a couple of users who don't have the greatest eyesight and need their VMs to be set to 1024x768 instead of our standard resolution of 1280x1024. All workstations are dual-monitor.

The 1280x1024 workstations are working perfectly on both Wyse P20 zero clients and Windows PCs running the View client. However, when we try to set the resolution to 1024x768 on a couple of the VMs, the second screen is always blank, on both P20s and Windows PCs running the View client.

I have tried pretty much everything I have been able to read out there. I've uninstalled VMWare Tools and the View Client, I've done the trick to hack the video RAM, and I am making sure that I do a virtual hardware shutdown of the VM after every configuration change rather than a simple "warm" restart. I'm stymied.

Has anyone been able to successfully run different resolutions in a multi-monitor setup with PCoIP?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KenUnger
Contributor
Contributor

Chris,

This is supported so long as the primary display is at the top left (i.e 0,0). I'm running 4.0.1 but confirmed this works when switching the primary and secondary displays between 1280x1024 and 1024x768, using display properties (reenabled through the registry). That is 1280:1280, 1280:1024, 1024:1280, 1024:1024 all worked. One note that when using the P20 or similar, that we can only support the resolutions that are actually supported by the monitor -- i.e it's like the monitor is directly attached to the virtual desktop. Currently, if use display properties it will give you a lot of resolution options that aren't supported by the monitor, and in 4.0 at least will cause a disconnect if you select one of these. If you are running with 4.0, then it might be good to give this a try with the 4.0.1 View Agent install in an VM.

Hope this helps,

Ken

coligher
Contributor
Contributor

Ken,

Thanks. I'll give the 4.0.1 agent version a try. As far as monitor support, we are definitely OK there. All the P20s are attached to two NEC LCD73VX monitors, so both 1024x768 and 1280x1024 are suppported, although 1280 is native. The users in that office were running the same monitors at 1024 with their old V10L's, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos