VMware Horizon Community
KJedrusiak
Contributor
Contributor

Post Mortem: ESXi4.1, ViewManager4.6, VDI Cluster memory upgrade issues

We have a VDI cluster consisting of three ESXi 4.1 hosts.  View Manager 4.6.  With approxinately 40 VMs per host.

The initial memory config was 128GB, we upgraded the hosts to 256GB.

What I didn't find anywhere was the correct procedure for shutdown and the restart the View ManagerVDI Cluster hardware gracefully.

We ended up having a third of our VMs being orphaned and we had to play the usual games of removing and reloading them into the inventory to get them to come back up.

Can anyone point me to the correct documentation on how to shut down and then restart a View Manager/VDI cluster without causing the issues with orphaned VMs?

Thanks

Kyle

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I haven't seen any information that has a shutdown procedure laid out but if your using a cluster it should be as simple as placing one host in maintenance mode.  Once all the VMs are vmotioned to other members of the cluster you can shutdown.    This assumes that you are using shared storage and can utilize VMotion.   If not then the proper procedure would be to simply have all of the guest on that vSphere host powered off, enter maintenance mode, shutdown and upgrade memory.

0 Kudos