VMware Horizon Community
GordonSmith4
Contributor
Contributor

Redundant VCenter for View

I am using View 6.1 with Composer and VCenter 6.0 ( VDI Dedicated VCenter)

As we plan upgrades, I am looking at redundancy. Id like to have a redundant View VCenter  set up. In case our Vcenter  or composer go down, a way to switch to a waiting back up scenario. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions?

Thx, Gordon

2 Replies
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Folks as me about this from time to time - the options tend to be complex.

One option:  You can have multiple vCenters tied to your View Connection Servers, each running half of your overall capacity.  In the event of failure of one vCenter, the hosts would be moved to the new vCenter, and pools scaled out.

There are also more elaborate methods of providing HA:  https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/solutions/vmw-alwayson-validated-design-guide.pdf

0 Kudos
homerjnick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is your vCenter a VM?

Ours is...we use Veeam...we backup the vCenter to storage and you can insta-boot it from backup, performance isn't as good as normal VM but still functions.

We also use Veeam to replicate it to DR and can be switched on whenever required...having a separate redundant vCenter for View will cost you a license...just have good backups/replication and make sure your RPO/RTO's are acceptable...

Heck just backups of the vCenter DB and the View DB's will do, can reinstall vCenter & View fairly quickly if you have the DB's.