VMware Horizon Community
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Setting Computer name variables on VM (quickprep?)

Hello.

Using View automated desktops with linked clones.

We want to extract certain parts of the computername and set as envrinmental variables in the machine when the VM is created.

For example, the computer name may be SI04-753002.

We would cut this down into three variables:

SITE = SI

ROOM = 04

ASSET = 753002

Ideally, this would be done at quickprep so I imported a script to perform the work - and the script works fine; it does create the env vars.

HOWEVER - the machine name at QP time is the original MASTER name. When QP runs the script it does not have the correct computername as defined from View. This means that all VMs have the same env vars.

Any suggestions?

Users of the machines would not be admins, a RUNONCEEX situation wouldn't be ideal.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Please create an SR on this and post the SR-number, it should work and sounds like a bug to me.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just to be sure I am being clear -- this is not a VM naming issue.

The VM does get named correctly when customization is complete.

It is just that it has the master VM name during the quickprep process, and since I am trying to strip the name during QP, I get the wrong information. I presume that the name change takes place after QP, or at least is not processed properly until then (maybe needs a reboot)?

Do you think this still sounds like a bug? Happy to create SR, but just wanted to ensure I had explained the situation well enough.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Yes I do understand the issue and have heard about it before, but (according to me anyway) this should be working as you and me want it.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos