VMware Horizon Community
cgooch
Contributor
Contributor

Using Tablet PCs with Vmware View

Hello All,

I have not done very much testing with traditional tablet PCs such as the HP Elitebook series with touch and stylus input capabilities and using VMware View.  The internet hasn't came up to helpful.   My deployment is in a medical setting, so our doctors are wanting the ability to use all of the tablet's features such as stylus input, handwriting recognition using the keyboard writing tools that are, I assume, built into Windows.

Can anybody shed some light on how this would function and what is needed to make this work?    Thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

When connecting to desktops with PCoIP we abstract the mouse from the virtual session to ensure that the mouse shows smooth even performance. This works great on traditional clients.

Unfortunately, depending on how the vendor has implemented the stylus input this may or my not function as expected through PCoIP.

I suspect if the stylus input is being directly translated into basic mouse movement then there wouldn't be any issues. Handwriting recognition should function normally as well as long as it's configured correctly and any necessary supporting software is installed.

Do you currently have any of these tablets to test with?

-Mike

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_
0 Kudos
keeggib
Contributor
Contributor

With the nightmare of HIPAA IT compliance policy requirements, you might invesigate healthcare-specific third-party vendors with ready-to-go VMware View Server/Zero-Client/Thumbprint-Scanning Tablet/RFID card solutions instead of rolling your own.

Expensive for sure, but a lot easier than re-creating the wheel that they've already made.

I spoke with a couple of healthcare-specific virtualization vendors at VMworld 2012 last week...Their solutions were impressive.

They also reminded me why I would never pursue an IT career in the Heathcare Industry...It's just as horrible as Finance!

Cheers!

Keegan

0 Kudos