VMware Horizon Community
danzbassman
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Desktop Virtualization: Looking for info and recommendations

We are investigating desktop virtualization. We've been beta testing using VMWare ESX Server and having users access virtual machines running WindowsXP. They've been using HP thinclients and Microsoft RDP to access the VMs. This works okay but has a few limitations we need to overcome before we can commit to desktop virtualizations. Those challenges include:

1) Streaming video performance is unacceptable. The audio/video is not synched properly

2) limited USB support. Specifically can't synch/charge iPhones and other smart phones

3) Dual Monitor support isn't very good with RDP

4) Intermittent problems with Cut and Paste functions in Office 2003 apps.

Our user community must have the ability to save shortcuts to their desktops, make bookmarks in IE/Firefox, arrange their dual monitors however they like, and have this be consistent no matter where they access their virtual desktop from.

One of the products we're looking at to help us solve these issues is VMWare View4. However, one of the knocks I've read is that VMWare desktop virtualization does not allow users to personalize their desktops. This is a deal killer for us.

I'd be grateful for any information, recommendations, etc. anyone would care to share.

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

1) Streaming video performance is unacceptable.

In View3 and View4 there is the MMR feature to resolve this issue.

2) limited USB support.

If ActiveSync works then also iTune can works.

3) Dual Monitor support isn't very good with RDP

With View4 and PCoIP this feature was enhanced (now 4 monitor)

4) Intermittent problems with Cut and Paste functions in Office 2003 apps.

Which version of View or VDM have you tested?

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
Toenuff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In regards to the desktop personalization. It's recommended that you turn off backgrounds and other eye candy to help increase the performance of your system where it's needed, but you can definitely use them. As a matter of fact my personal vm that I've been using to test PCOIP and view 4 in general is running windows 7 with rotating backgrounds. Is this what you mean by personalize the desktops? Or do you mean specific shortcuts on the desktops. You can do both even if you are using linked clones and thinapps your users' profiles can sit on different vmdks so that their customizations stay persistent regardless of whether or not you refresh your images.

0 Kudos