VMware Horizon Community
Cindy3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Version 2312.1-8.12.1-23531248 Recent Horizon Client Update causes Network Error for Mac OS

I just allowed the most recent update for the Horizon Client for Mac OS and now cannot connect to my server. It says network error. I have tried deleting the server and adding it. I have tried deleting the horizon client and then reinstalling. I have tried connecting to the most recently connected server. It all results in an error message "Error: A network error occurred". I also have unchecked the Vmware app from the accessibility privacy and security settings to see if that would help (as it was suggested for those with mouse issues).. this still did not make a difference.

I was able to connect on a laptop on which I declined the update. Please help. I cannot work efficiently on my laptop alone.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Melandrach
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Cindy, I can confirm we are seeing the same issue in our VMware Horizon environment, but only from Macs. Try uninstalling and going back one version to 2312 and that seems to resolve the issue.

There is evidently a bug in the 2312.1 MacOS version (doesn't happen with the 2312.1 Windows client though)

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Melandrach
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Cindy, I can confirm we are seeing the same issue in our VMware Horizon environment, but only from Macs. Try uninstalling and going back one version to 2312 and that seems to resolve the issue.

There is evidently a bug in the 2312.1 MacOS version (doesn't happen with the 2312.1 Windows client though)

Cindy3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. I had to figure out how to go back one version (2312) but that did the trick.

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/downloads/details?downloadGroup=CART24FQ4_MAC_2312&productId=1027...

0 Kudos
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @Cindy3 were you using smartcard to authenticate the connection server when seeing the error?
0 Kudos
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

And, what was your macOS version when the error happened?
0 Kudos
Melandrach
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just to confirm, for us I am seeing this happen on Sonoma. I don't have a Mac with a previous OS to test with. We are not using smartcards at our organization to authenticate.

0 Kudos
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@Melandrach  et al.

We have been actively working on this connection error and have identified an issue when using a smartcard on a macOS client with 2312.1 connection server.

While, if it's a non-smartcard case we need more info to help with the investigation. Could you please do the following and share the macOS client logs? Thanks.

Please run the commands and collect logs as below.

1. execute the command to clean all horizon logs

rm -fr ~/Library/Logs/VMware Horizon Client/*

2. execute the command before run the horizon application

launchctl setenv VMWARE_VIEW_DEBUG_LOGGING 0

3. Please start horizon client and reproduce the error. Collect the trace log file from ~/Library/Logs/VMware Horizon Client/vmware-view-xxxx.log

0 Kudos
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Guys, please also let me know what the versions of your connection server are when seeing the issue.

0 Kudos
jlous
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are seeing this with no smart card reader in sight.

Here are some obeservations that might be relevant:

• The firewall logs show certain requests to the vmware server are blocked, correlating with the failures.
    The firewall uses only explicit allow-rules
  • Workaround 1: downgrade
  • Workaround 2: connect over VPN
    The problem mainfests when connected directly to the internal company wifi, but not when using VPN from inside or outside.
    Maybe it doesn' hit the same firewall, maybe the VPN makes changes to requests that make them acceptable (such as originating from the VPN) 
  • Workaround 3: initiate via web 
    The web interface works, and can successfully launch sessions into the native client if so configured!
    This fits with the error appearing before sessions are even listed,

So, a stab at a bounding hypothesis:

In version 2312.1 something changed,
specifically about the shape or use of certain network requests sent only while initialising the client,
in such a way that a firewall might no longer recognise them as allowed.

0 Kudos
Melandrach
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We are on Horizon 8 2111.2 ESB, no smart cards.

0 Kudos