VMware Horizon Community
coligher
Contributor
Contributor

View 3 - Any more performance tweaking options than VDI 2.1?

Hello all,

I received my upgrade licenses from VMWare for VMWare View 3 since we have an active maintenance contract, and I am considering doing the upgrade from VMWare VDI 2.1 which is what we are currently running. I was wondering if there are any additional performance tweaks available in VMWare View 3 vs. VMWare VDI 2.1. We have been consistently having problems with users on the other side of a 1.5Mb/sec leased connection getting disconnected from their virtual desktops throughout the day. It seems to happen whenever they do something that is very video-intensive like scrolling quickly through a graphic-intensive website or something that makes a sound, so I was wondering if we now had the option to force the desktops to use 256-colors instead of High color or to disable sound across the connections. The users are using a mix of Wyse thin clients and windows PCs as clients and the disconnections seem to happen the same on both, so I am pretty sure it is an issue with the connections being too "fat" for the network bandwidth.

Just curious,

Chris

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Christoph_de_Wa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chris,

if it is an option you could set all the used VMs to not redirect sound to the local machine and limit color depth to 256 or 16 bit both via GPO settings. You could divide the VMs that are provided in 2 OUs e.g. LAN_VMs and WAN_VMs and just apply the limitations on the WAN_VMs...

I always prefer to apply configuration settings via GPO in the Active Directory to our VMs than use other ways. Usually works better Smiley Wink

Best Wishes

admin
Immortal
Immortal

You should already be able to disable sound and reduce the screen colors etc... just do it with GPO's in your Active Directory. You will find the proper ADM files for that on the Connection Server in the path C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\extras

Thanks,

Chris

coligher
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tips, guys! I did not know you could do those things with group policy settings. I will start researching them.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
coligher
Contributor
Contributor

Just to clarify, these GPO settings will affect the VM regardless of which client is used to access it, correct? Because the majority of my clients are Wyse WNOS thin clients and won't be able to benefit from any group policy if it only affects the clients.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Right. Just use the original gpos in ad and apply them to the virtual desktop. The vdmagent.adm can also be added for the virtual desktop.

Sent with my BlackBerry

0 Kudos
coligher
Contributor
Contributor

Perfect, thanks!

0 Kudos
jhardman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You should take a minute and search for the XP deployment guide that VMware compiled. Most of what you are asking about is covered in there, and lots more too. You might in addition to those take a look at nLite (google is your friend) for striping down your installs to gain performance too.

0 Kudos