VMware Horizon Community
skipbigelow
Contributor
Contributor

View Composer database

In the View Manager Admin Guide it says that a database and data source name (DSN) must be created to store the linked clone desktops but, no where have i found any information on creating this database. Is it just a blank sql db? What db permissions does it have to have? Why doesn't/can't the installer create it and the DSN during installation?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

have you seen the Administration Guide

starting on page 93

0 Kudos
daleallenc
Contributor
Contributor

The order of the instructions are a little hosed up.

On page 103, Install the View Composer Service, Step 4, it tells you: "In the Datasource Name field enter the name you provided in the Microsoft ODBC Data Source Administrator wizard for your database (in the previous example, VMware Linked Clone)."

Well, the "previous example" isn't really shown until page 105 under the topics "Add a linked clone desktop database instance to SQL Server 2005" and "Add an ODBC datasource". Do those first, and then go back to page 103.

It is a blank database, and I believe it's using the default permissions. I don't remember adding or creating or changing any Security settings, and from just looking at it again, don't see any changes from the default.

0 Kudos
skipbigelow
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to all, I guess I just didn't FTM far enough. :smileycool:

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

please consider awarding points by marking the answers as "correct" or "helpful"

0 Kudos
Teovmy
Contributor
Contributor

I did make a blank database with a SQL user. Did also the ODBC and test the connection which was succesful. Enter these parameters in the setup of View Composer.

The error I get while installing it is:

Error 28011. An error occured during installation of the View Composer Database.

And here it's end!!

What t o do. I check the permissions of the database user and I think they are good.

Regards. @teovmy http://www.mikes.eu
0 Kudos
Teovmy
Contributor
Contributor

Ok reply to myself. Problem solves. The user was no DB Owner, Only DB creator. So keep this in mind!

Regards. @teovmy http://www.mikes.eu
0 Kudos