Good evening to the community.

I have a question.
I need to create a pool named "vPC_Persistent" containing 950 desktops
I need to use IP ranges: 10.100.100.x, 10.100.101.x, 10.100.103.x, 10.100.104.x
Another fact:
DHCP server (Windows Server)
VMware View 5.0
My question is;
As I can meet the requirements listed above considering that I do not have networking experience. The information you can give me the pass to network manager.
Thanks for the help.
Best regards.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Are these all on the same subnet or different ones? Do you have the netmask? (For example 255.255.255.0)

Typically these would be on different subnets since you will have problems with broadcast-storms with that many machines.

I would recommend to divide them into 4 pools with 250 desktops each on separate VLAN:s.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
bparini
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Linjo,

All in diferent subnets. The netmask is 255.255.255.0

Currently I have a group "ViewUsers" in Active Directory. Members of this group have access to the pool and Folder Redirection.
The company has standard names for devices within the domain.
PCs = PCxxxx
VMs = VPCxxxx
Should have four pools, the names of the VMs will not correlative and Composer throw an error because there are already virtual machines in Active Directory with the same name. You should also create four security groups in Active Directory and assign one to each pool?. I'll have to divide the number of users in each security group?
Thank you.
Best Regards
0 Kudos
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Unfortunately, today, VMware View doesn't have the ability to explicitly set the IP that a given VM uses when it is created. This is controlled entirely by the port group that a VM gets attached to and the DHCP server available to the VMs on that port group.

As Linjo states, if you are stuck with having separate subnets then you will have to split your pools into sizes of about 250 VMs.

To get around the naming conflict you are mentioning you will need to set a naming pattern with a fixed length using the following section of the Admin Guide:

http://pubs.vmware.com/view-51/topic/com.vmware.view.administration.doc/GUID-26AD6C7D-553A-46CB-B8B3...

Essentially you will need to configure each pools naming pattern similar to the following to keep them separate:

Pool 1: VPC1{n:fixed=3}

Pool 2: VPC2{n:fixed=3}

Pool 3: VPC3{n:fixed=3}

Pool 4: VPC4{n:fixed=3}

Each pool will also need to have a master VM that resides on separate port group and that port group will need to be configured to talk to the DHCP range that you want for that set of VMs.

You will then need to create 4 AD groups and add the desired users to those groups. Then entitle those groups to the desired pool.

-Mike

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_
bparini
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help.

One more question;
An alternative solution could be the DHCP Superscope?

Best Regards.

0 Kudos
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Absolutely. If your environment allows the use of superscopes then that could allow you to group all VMs into one large pool.

-Mike

0 Kudos
bparini
Contributor
Contributor

This would have a downside?

You can generate broadcast storm?

Best Regards.

0 Kudos
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If the subnets are all separate and configured as /24 then it shouldn't matter if you separate the pools or use a superscope. You would have a problem if you were using on large subnet for all ~1000 VMs.

0 Kudos