VMware Horizon Community
tree_frog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Printers Not Working in macOS 14 Sonoma Host (VMware Horizon Client, VMware Fusion)

Hello,

I have updated 4 Macs (2 Intel, 2 Apple Silicon) to macOS 14 Sonoma.

Virtual printers are no longer working (they were working fine under macOS 12 & 13); attempting to print from within the virtual machine to a shared printer from the host fails silently.

I have a 5th Mac still on Ventura that does not exhibit the issue.

Has anyone come across this?  It is having a really significant effect on my workflow.

Thank you.

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
25 Replies
Nosix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Mangui - Success! I just got Printing to work under Sonoma by initialing the Hombrew port of Ghostscript and following the instructions in the Kb exactly- I corrected the last 2 errors I made to get it to work.

The config file has to be a plain text file and had inaverantly saved a RTFAnd the Path for ps2pdf in my installation turned out to be /opt/homebrew/opt/gs/bin/ps2pdf

/Library/Preferences/VMware Horizon View/config

Here is the config file I used  

notprintRedirection.ps2pdfParams = "- -"
printRedirection.ps2pdfPath = /opt/homebrew/opt/gs/bin/ps2pdf"
printRedirection.ps2pdfSHA256 = "1db131fe92b5106fcbe9bf1539cea9af6595085dbbabffc30ec408222d89b63b"

tree_frog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Mangui.

I was able to get it working with Horizon Client version 2312 by following Option 3 here – it's a huge relief that this is working again.

Assuming Ghostscript 10.02.1 installed via Homebrew, the configuration settings below worked for me.  They should be placed in:

/Library/Preferences/VMware Horizon View/config

Apple Silicon Macs

printRedirection.ps2pdfParams = "- -"
printRedirection.ps2pdfPath = "/opt/homebrew/bin/ps2pdf"
printRedirection.ps2pdfSHA256 = "1db131fe92b5106fcbe9bf1539cea9af6595085dbbabffc30ec408222d89b63b"

Intel Macs

printRedirection.ps2pdfPath = "/usr/local/bin/ps2pdf"

Bash script for automatic configuration (requires admin privileges; run once only, as it appends to the configuration file):

#!/bin/bash

sudo mkdir -p "/Library/Preferences/VMware Horizon View"
echo \
"printRedirection.ps2pdfParams = \"- -\"
printRedirection.ps2pdfPath = \"$(which ps2pdf)\"
printRedirection.ps2pdfSHA256 = \"$(shasum -a 256 "$(which ps2pdf)" | awk '{print $1}')\"" \
| sudo tee -a "/Library/Preferences/VMware Horizon View/config" > /dev/null

shads1031
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Edited post with a minor correction to make sure that the config file does not have an extension. Printing remotely now works after following the steps below.

Specs

Sonoma 14.3.1, Intel Processor, VMware Horizon Client 2312

Steps Followed:

• In Terminal, ran xcode-select --install to install the Command Line Developer Tools.
  • Navigated to https://brew.sh/ , clicked on the link for Homebrew's latest GitHub release, then scrolled down and downloaded the Homebrew-4.2.10.pkg file and installed.
  • In Terminal, ran brew install ghostscript.
  • In Terminal, ran find /usr/local/ -name ps2pdf and recorded the following values:

/usr/local//bin/ps2pdf

/usr/local//Cellar/Ghostscript/10.02.1/bin/ps2pdf

• In Terminal, confirmed that the SHA-256 value of the ps2pdf executable is correct by running the following commands:

bash

shasum -a 256 /usr/local/bin/ps2pdf

Output: 1db131fe92b5106fcbe9bf1539cea9af6595085dbbabffc30ec408222d89b63b (matches value in KB article)

• In TextEdit, created a file called config and entered the following values:

printRedirection.ps2pdfPath = "/usr/local/bin/ps2pdf"

printRedirection.ps2pdfSHA256 = "1db131fe92b5106fcbe9bf1539cea9af6In 595085dbbabffc30ec408222d89b63b"

• In the TextEdit menu at the top of the screen, selected Format > Make Plain Text, saved the file as config to the Desktop and unchecked the box for "If no extension is provided, use ".txt"".
  • Navigated to Finder > Go > Go to Folder > /Library/Preferences
  • Created a folder called VMware Horizon View under /Library Preferences, as it didn't exist
  • Moved the config file to /Library/Preferences/VMware Horizon View
  • Rebooted MacBook, logged into a virtual desktop, tested printing a file and printing works now.
0 Kudos
Nosix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For the config file to be recognized you must remove the .txt extension.

shads1031
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This worked! Appreciate the assist. I will edit my post. Hopefully it will be useful for others not too familiar with macOS, as I was.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
euriah
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can VMWare make a patch for this?  It's unfortunate that Apple created a problem that undermines our productivity.  

0 Kudos