VMware Horizon Community
aHeadOfU
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere Storage Appliance (VSA) & View ?

After reading about the new Vsphere Storage Appliance (VSA) i got a thought about if it was possible to use this with SSD drives on ESX servers, to avoid VDI (View) bootstorms ?

Any thoughts on this and if it would be a good approach or not ?

Could this be used to replace expensive storage solutions somehow ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LehiCity
Contributor
Contributor

I have been thinking about the same thing. It would be a good way to get started with View. I have a three host cluster, that has CPU and RAM to spare for doing View, but I do not want to use my exsisting shared storage. I think when these http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/01/ocz-revodrive-hybrid-merges-100gb-ssd-with-1tb-hdd-for-499/ come out, I will buy one for each host and do a 60 day demo of a three node VSA on them. At $500 per drive you could have a pretty sweet setup for $1500 plus the cost of a VSA license.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I guess it's something to test but there are limitations with VSA.  If I'm not mistaken each instance can only be used on three host.      Check out the FAQ on it.

http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere/vsphere-storage-appliance/faqs.html

0 Kudos
scrappy
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone know if VMware will provide a design that would use local storage only?

The other question is I thought View 5 was to have some local server caching features introdcued to speed performance but I can not see any references, has this feature been added?

Thanks

0 Kudos
joshsinclair
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware published a reference architecture a while ago about using local SSD storage.

0 Kudos
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert

Yes this concept will work, I know or organsiations who are starting to adopt it. It only really works with floating pools, where each image is identical. You can simply set your floating pools to use all the local datastores then allow it to rebalance across those pools. Be careful about overcommittment levels though as you will have limited storage.

The other conept is to use SSD as a write cacheI havent looked at vsphere 5 with SSD drives yet, but on the datastore there is a column called something like SSD enabled? If you work out how to enable that, I believe it will automatically use SSD as a write cache before hitting your SAN.

Two separate concepts, which you're probably better off using separately as you wouldnt use an SSD write cache if just using the same local SSD drives anyway.

I was speaking to the creator of Xen a while ago, and his view was that the industry will gradually move away from the concept of a large shared storage array, and end up using cheap local storage in this manner for services which dont require 99.999% uptime, like virtual desktops. I tend to agree with him. This is why Xen and Vmware have introduced local caching technologies and storage appliances (Xen to follow on the appliance, I suspect)

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

View and VSA should work fine but its not something that we have tested a lot inhouse yet, we are working on that and will publish more on this combo later.

(Combined with some speedy local storage (FusionIO and such) it looks really promising though!)

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos