VMware Horizon Community
TonyHuynh201110
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Webcams and Microphones are now generally supported with VMware Horizon View 5.2 FP 2

Many customers have asked for VMware to enable support for Webcams and Microphones with VMware Horizon View desktops.  This is now possible with the latest VMware Horizon View 5.2 Feature Pack 2.  Please see the following blog for details.

Real-Time Audio-Video (RTAV) for Horizon View | VMware End-User Computing Blog - VMware Blogs

Tarique Chowdhury and Peter Brown from VMware did an awesome job and we are already receving feedback from delighted customers!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
nzorn
Expert
Expert

Just to note that this only works with Windows clients using the latest View Client 5.4.  Zero clients are not supported.

0 Kudos
xingchan
Contributor
Contributor

I have just tested FP2 and ran into some problems. My laptop has an internal webcam but it isn't recognized in the View session. When I plugin an usb webcam, the webcam can be used.

Unfortunately I can't use the webcam feature with Lync 2013. The Lync client can't see a recording device. I know I should install the Lync plugin on the access client, but I was hoping that at least the Lync client would see a recording device.

I also have a problem with my internal speakers on my laptop. With fp2 installed the default playback device is changed to the new playback device. When I try to play audio I can't hear anything. When I change the playback device back to it was I can hear audio again.

0 Kudos
TonyHuynh201110
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please look at the release notes for FP2 - the real-time audio-video (RTAV) feature is not meant for Lync VDI integration.  For instructions on how to deploy Lync 2013 VDI integration with View, please use the deployment guide.

0 Kudos
xingchan
Contributor
Contributor

I know Lync is only supported with plugin, but wouldn't it be nice I didn't had to install the plugin?

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Xingchan

It is really interesting to hear your internal webcam on your laptop isn't working. We have tested with a number of built in cameras and they all worked fine. However, we obviously can't test every single laptop camera combination! If you are still having problems, could you grab the client logs for a time when you have tried to use the built in camera and upload them? I'd like to take a look to see if I can spot what is wrong.

The log file for the client can be found here:

Windows XP
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\VMware\VDM\Logs\

Windows 7 or Windows 8:
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\VMware\VDM\Logs\

titled “debug-20XX-XX-XX-XXXXXX.txt”

so please reproduce the problem, and grab the latest debug file and send it through if you can.

cheers
Peter Brown

0 Kudos
xingchan
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the delay, but today I redid my test and this time my webcam is recognized. I'm not sure why the first test didn't work. When I can reproduce the problem, I will save the log.

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

that is great news! glad it is working.

it might be that the first time you tried to use it that the camera was in use by another application on the client (or on your guest desktop). In which case you would see the solid grey screen instead of an image.

anyway, glad it's working, and do reach out if you do reproduce the problem again,

cheers

peterB

0 Kudos
Topstep1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to download Feature Pack 2 as part of Eval., Please? Evaluation link is 1.0

most sincere greetings

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

the feature pack 2 can be downloaded here: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VIEW-520-FP2&productId=320&rPId=3907

I believe it can be installed against an evaluation system. (the feature pack is installed onto the guest vm which needs the Horizon View Agent installing first.

You need to be running Horizon View 5.2 for the feature pack to work,

cheers

peterB

0 Kudos
Topstep1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank You.

I had that link but it will not let me download. (see attached image)

most sincere greetigns

Sent from Windows Mail

Sent: ‎Thursday‎, ‎August‎ ‎1‎, ‎2013 ‎8‎:‎56‎ ‎AM

To: Topstep1

VMware Communities<http://communities.vmware.com/index.jspa>

Webcams and Microphones are now generally supported with VMware Horizon View 5.2 FP 2

created by peterbrown05<http://communities.vmware.com/people/peterbrown05> in VMware® Horizon View™ - View the full discussion<http://communities.vmware.com/message/2272223#2272223>

0 Kudos
TonyHuynh201110
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It appears that your account has not been enabled for download.  I'll ask around to see how to get this resolved.  In the meantime, have you emailed the help alias?

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

You could always request an eval from a new email-adress to get access.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
VirtualSven
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have the same problem. FP2 is not part of the eval download unfortunately, so I cannot download FP2.

Sven Huisman VMware vExpert 2009-2016 Twitter: @svenh blog: svenhuisman.com
0 Kudos
arakelian
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Check out Peter Brown's new video about the RTAV feature at http://youtu.be/mG0ke377FOw.

0 Kudos