VMware Horizon Community
julianwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What made you chose VMWare View or Citrix XenDesktop?

We're heading down the VDI route and have started looking at VMWare View and Citrix XenDesktop. We will store all VMs on ESX 3.5

My main question though is what is the experience comparing VMWare View to XenDesktop. I'm having trouble understanding the concept of how desktops would be "streamed" to the ESX hosts with XenDesktop compared to VMWare Views simple VMs on an ESX host model.

Also, how does performance compare between the two. I've heard from somebody that XenDesktop's way of streaming the OS down offloads some of the processor utilisation away from the ESX host onto the Provisioning Server. Is this correct? If so, how does this scale? We are thinking of 600 desktops. I don't want to be saving money on ESX Servers to be spending them on multiple Provisioning Servers.

As we are already using VMWare ESX, does it make more sense to use VMWare View as it would be a closer fit or does Citrix XenDesktop potentially have advantages such as potentially less CPU usage, ICA protocol performance.

Would be very interested to hear your experiences and find out how you chose your desktop broker?

http://WoodITWork.com
0 Kudos
37 Replies
PimmeW
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I dont fully agree with you, it could take 2 years before it is even considered functional.

Most of my customers hears a lot of promisses from VMWare people (dev team), but they keep postponing deadlines over and over and over again.

From that perspective, and according to me they have lost most of the credibility they used to have once upon a time. Both Microsoft and Citrix are equal opponens now, and they are passing them (VMware) by with a lot of speed...I havent seen anything usefull from VMWare since ESX... (honestly) the View stuff is not really good, honestly.

0 Kudos
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't agree - vmware view 3 was a huge jump from vdm 2 - and it was functional the very day it was released. PCoIP is scheduled to be released by the end of this year - I am confident it will be usable as soon as it is released. I also, don't agree that vmware only has ESX to show off - have you used SRM (works like magic) - fusion (so far the best platform to run windows on Mac) - Workstation (so far the best host based virtualization platform)...

Thanks,

Meraz

0 Kudos
WCHAdmin
Contributor
Contributor

Since I started this thread I've received a lot of varied responses... let me add this into the mix...

How does everyone feel about the licensing model, with not only the VMWare licensing necessary for each VDI but also the Microsoft licensing costs...

0 Kudos
rwl99
Contributor
Contributor

I have been fascinated with this discussion! The opinions are coming in from every direction and I thought it was time to put in my own 2 cents. I guess the easiest way to respond is to, from my perspective, separate fact from conjecture.

I have posted a fairly detailed discussion on:

Here is a summary of that post:

Conjecture 1: You can only use Provisioning Server with XenServer.

Fact 1: Provisioning Server is totally independent of Hypervisor. In fact, it is also independent of Storage type/manufacturer and doesn't even care what operating system is being delivered to the Virtual Machine (or endpoint or server).

Conjecture 2: XenDesktop is more complex to install and manage than VMware View.

Fact 2: Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when it comes to the install experience. They are more similar than the folklore seems to represent. XenDesktop is a complete package including hypervisor, single image provisioning, app virtualization, user profile management, delivery controller, etc. However, it is modular so you only install what you need. When you look at all the components of View, you find 5+ different install points and the same number of management consoles with a lot fewer features overall.

Conjecture 3: XenDesktop Virtual Desktops use more RAM than View-based Virtual Desktops

Fact 3: Desktop VMs on ESX will use the same amount RAM whether delivered by XenDesktop on ESX or View on ESX. When a desktop is configured on a VM, it is assigned a certain amount of RAM. This would be the same whether you are accessing desktop from XD or View. Given the same OS, applications, and users, the RAM usage on the ESX VM will be exactly the same. OS Streaming may actually reduce RAM footprint but, at worst, it would not impact RAM usage.

Conjecture 4: XenDesktop is more expensive than VMware View.

Fact 4: When it comes to pricing, remember you have to compare APPLES to APPLES and meet the needs of an enterprise deployment. I won't break out the spreadsheet right here but if you add in the price of the ESX licenses and 3rd party products to make View an equivalent solution with app delivery, profile management, etc., perceived price differences in fact will reverse quite dramatically.

Lastly, while I differ with most of what one VMware Community member, Rkelly, posted re View vs. XenDesktop, I have to say I agree with his final point for the IT team in any VMware shop: "Download the trial versions of both products and see for yourself."

0 Kudos
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree with your statements - but one thing you didn't mentioned is what will be in the future - how would view look at the end 2010 vs XenDesktop. Will I be able to deploy my virtual desktops on the cloud directly. How can I protect my virtual desktops when there is a disaster - does Citrix offer software like SRM.

Thanks,

Meraz

0 Kudos
Rkelly
Contributor
Contributor

It's funny, I don't see anyone on Citrix forums defending View? What does that say?

To be honest, the only advantage that Citrix has right now is their ICA display protocol. This is the only reason that Citrix is even being evaluated at most companies.

I actually think that RDP with the TCX enhancements and the Flash support work just as well as ICA in most cases.

It is really a very tough decision because Citrix is really bringing a good competition to the market.

However, I think that once PC over IP is released and becomes mainstream that the playing field will be level, possibly giving VMware the advantage. Like I said, people want one vendor to call if your an ESX shop. But we don't want to compromise on performance.

Also, ICA does consume more resources on the VM's then RDP. Logically ICA is doing a lot more and creating a lot more channels, throtelling etc. Try it yourself and you will see. This is not to say that PC over IP won't as well. I have just not had the chance to try it yet.

To me it doesn't really matter if it is Citrix or Vmware. I am a server guy anyway so I am not biased to one or the other. But you have to ask yourself, do you go with the company that invented VDI or the other company trying to take the market? Of course people that make a living as Citrix admins or Citrix employees are going to argue this one.

Some news for everyone if you have not read it. Wyse will fully support PCoIP and have a VMWare Ready lable on them.

0 Kudos
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree with you, I can't wait to test PCoIP.

0 Kudos
PimmeW
Contributor
Contributor

Competition is good for the market, but I need to say again that VMWare has lost most credibility they have had over the last 12months.

'I can not even rememeber how many "deadlines" of features they have promised my customers without actually delivering anything,, not even BETAS!

Anyway, to the facts: "PC over IP" will consume around x10 of bandwidth than ICA does. And honestly, the stuff isn't even ready yet. Don't trust a deadline put out by VMware, now they have (as far as I know) promised a Software version of the "PC over IP" during Q3, so lets see and wait.

Furthermore, if we talk about LAN I can agree that bandwidth is a smaller issue, even in some countries as well where they have a lot of high capacity WAN's, but the facts are still there.. View has a long way to go, and they dont even offer support for View 3 with vSphere, and seriously? how professional is that?

It is like saying " Hey, you just bought office 2007 but don't except the docs to work with the next version of office" .. I think that Brian Madden has a very good argumentation of why somebody would like to chose XenDesktop instead of View, there are always 2 different sides to compare with.. I have def. chosen a vendor which I believe in (citrix) and that I think will last a couple of years and that is innovating and trusthworthy

0 Kudos
PimmeW
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Guys

I assume, by the silence that you agree with me that a lot of credibility and trustworthiness has disappeared from VMware once they get themselves into an IT war with Microsoft and Citrix.

I mean (my point of view) as a professional I have to trust what the vendors tells me, it is all about delivering project and keeping my deadlines, if VMware make me look bad on site, there is no way on earth that I can take a stand for them, especially when I happens over and over and over again.

I mean, with respect to Citrix, I can only say that XenDesktop delivers exactly what they have promised, and also in regards of Single Sign On and Smartcards, they did have a working solution even though VMware where the once talking about that they had one (and Citrix didn't have one) when it come to the time to perform a Proof Of Concept, we were told that there is not SSO for Smartcards when running View. There are 10 of more examples like these, but I wouldn't say that the ICA protocol is the only benefit of Citrix XenDesktop.

I mean just a simple thing as naming convention, have you tried to create a VM (VDA), a AD Account with the XenDesktop Wizard? You will see that the names are intact and that they are the same, no matter which console you use. Manageability and simplicity is far superior with XenDesktop.

Now, as Brian wrote, VDI is not about the Server virtualization, and I think that this is the main point that VMware has missed. Maybe VMware "talk the talk" to get into all headlines in all news paper but they definitely not walk the walk, if you understand what I mean.

In either case, I fully understand customer that run View, there are always more reasons that one, like being a VMware shop, and getting a very good discount. But an end-customer, without any earlier preference I find it really hard that View would ever win a battle against XenDesktop, especially if the customer is objective and evaluates both products.

0 Kudos
Rkelly
Contributor
Contributor

Humm, not sure silence means agreement. I have not lost any trust in Vmware. It runs most enterprise data centers. Vsphere 4 has delivered on everything promised in it's first release. Vsphere is also a key compenent in the VDI ecosystem. Maybe Vmware focused more on their core product in the last 12 months. This is fine with us because that is our top priority. Also a better core hypervisor makes for better VDI in my opinion.

Not sure where the credibility thing is coming from either. Vmware has been very honest about when they will deliver products. I would rather wait for something I know is going to work rather then something just dumped on to the market like MS does and then release multiple service packs to get it working. It is not like customers are knocking down our doors for VDI yet anyway. So to date Vmware view has been "just good enough". And it has been very stable and reliable.

I do agree that choice is important in the market but as we all know it does not work like that in technology. Someone is going to win this war just like VHS vs. Beta and HDDVD vs. Blueray. I think this factor alone is what has heated up this debate so much. Either way it goes there will be some people happy and others left disappointed.

Speaking of promises, where is the Citrix Xen Client type 1 hypervisor at?

Also interesting that you state that ICA is not the only thing that makes XenDesktop different. If this is true then why doesn't Citrix just license ICA for use with VMware view 3.1, since the new version of view will support any protocol you choose except ICA at the moment because it is owned by Citrix?

0 Kudos
rpawlicki
Contributor
Contributor

I've kept quite up till now, but never assume anything. I've had 0

problems with ESX and few if any with View. In my mind, as an IT

Professional, if you're telling your customers drop dates for products

that aren't at least close to gold master, well then that's the chance

you take. To me, Vmware's taking a responsible approach by not

releasing something that's bugged beyond belief. I can understand your

fustration of promising something to customers, and than not having

anything to give them, but would you rather have dealt with your

customers having a bad product or no product at all? I'd rather wait a

bit and have a car that runs, than to have a car now, but that's in the

shop every other week. Personally, for me, credibility in a software

company is how stable their products are, not when they release new

features / products. You've obviously got some bad history with

VMware, anyone can see that from your posts, and I'm sorry to hear it,

and I'm sure we've all been there with one company or another, but

don't assume that since the rest of us haven't commented back that we

agree with you.

I

personally know three other shops that have evaluated VMware and

Citrix's solution, 2 went with View, one with Citrix. What does that

mean for everyone else? Evaluate both, and decided what is best for

your environment. I could sit here and complain about certain issues

I've had with Citrix, but what's the point? If that's not someone

else's experience with that company, why am I going to go on and on and

on about it?

RKelly couldn't have said it better. I'd rather have Vaporware from a

company than for them to release something that shouldn't have gotten

out of alpha stages. Who knows maybe PC over IP will be horrible, maybe

it'll be decent, until I get my hands on a final version, I'm not going

to pass judgement. I seem to remember people saying a long time ago

that software emulation of hardware would never be practicle and look

where we are now.

... and since I've responded this much, with respect to the person who

posted the conjecture and fact about Citrix, your fact about memory

usage was wrong in the testing I have done in my environment. Citrix

XenDesktop VMs used significantly more memory than the same Desktop VM

running in VMware View. I can't say either install was difficult,

however the setup for View, at least for me in my environment was much

quicker than for XenDesktop (from server builds to getting a desktop VM

up and running.)

Now

VMware has dropped the ball on SSO, and ICA is much more polished, and

you customize a lot more in Citrix so please don't assume I'm a fanboy

for VMware and I'm against Citrix. I'm not, they're a good company,

and have good products (of which we use quite a few), and Xen Desktop

was close to winning our bid.

I really, really can't stress

enough how important it is to evaluate both products for the

environment it's going to be running in and make you decison based on

your own results. As you can see from both sides with all of these

posts, it could go either way.

0 Kudos
rwl99
Contributor
Contributor

Quick clarification: On the RAM usage, was XD running on ESX or on XenServer? If this was related to memory overcommit, I can understand the disparity but if it is on the same hypervisor, this would need some investigation.

0 Kudos
Rkelly
Contributor
Contributor

First looks at PC over IP software version.Looks promising but we have to wait to get our hands on it.

http://www.brianmadden.com/blogs/tv/archive/2009/09/14/brian-madden-tv-18-vmworld-wrap-up-2-software...

Also note that Citrix responded that day with HDX-3D, which requires dedicated hardware on a workstation or blade PC, no support for virtual desktops????

0 Kudos
PimmeW
Contributor
Contributor

Guys

Don't misunderstand me. I haven't said that ESX is a bad product right? I am just saying, than unless you get View for free there is no reason on earth to go for it.. and unless of course you are a 100% dedicated VMware shop that believes VMware is going to bet the crap out of Microsoft + Citrix... highly unbelievable.. and I assume the VMware stock price says it all.

Furthermore, a lot of VMware recommendations, like using Memory Over commit or CPU over commit isn't really grate, not for a XenApp neither XenDesktop/VDI environment. It is probably grate for "idle" Web servers..

Furthermore, as a professional (take it as you want) but wasn't it VMware that released a buggy patch.. that almost killed all the ESX server around the world? Now, this could happened to anyone, I agree, and I am not saying that only have "crap" products, but as a company they are very unreliable -especially for early adopters.

Their PC over IP is assumed to take 10x the amount of Bandwidth, worse than the SUN solution /protocol... so the question is why do they go down that lane.

What I want to say is this: They talk the talk but they don't walk the walk (especially for View).

0 Kudos
PimmeW
Contributor
Contributor

Hello RKelly.

So you actually say that smartcard SSO support that they have promised my customers are taken out of the air? Or maybe you never had a similar request from your customers? In either case, it is a true story and really bad for my customers as they have invested heavily in VMware ESX.

Good for Citrix though, is that they had this solution in place -no problemos. Case closed, customer is happy. And this is not the only case, trust me. But the reason I am upset is that my customer "lost" 7 months waiting for this "VMware Solution".. which they where promised in the first place.

I would also say that the difference is smaller if you only run LAN like environments, and also that ICA is not the only difference. Just have a look of all the features included in a Citrix XenDesktop license!?

Furthermore, this whole VDI thing might be just a big joke escalated by Gartner; I don't know to be honest how the future will look like. But one thing is for sure, XenApp is still the number 1 application delivery product which brings the best TCO/ROI. And every serious company in the world needs to do a ROI/TCO and there is no way on earth that the View concept is cheaper than either a pure XenApp (Presentation Server) or a XenDesktop solution.

Please remember.... VMware still gets $$$ per CPU! No matter if it is a VMware shop or not, they wont be able to live like that in the long run. Even if ESX is a excellent product.

In regards to you other questions, I don't have a clue. I am not a license expert. But one thing is for sure,. If VMware is that smart and that "futuristic" why did they never develop a Type-1 Hypervisor for the End-Points? I mean, as they state themselves,, they have been in the Server Virtualisation market for over XX amount of years. And still, they are out of ideas? Here comes little Citrix, and beats VMware up twice on their own courtyard.. that is funny J About date, what I heard, is Beta during Q3.. so lets see.

Lets make this a challenge..

Will VMware have a software based PC over IP (Beta) for some of their customers during Q3 (cause that is what I heard)?

Will VMware have a SSO /Smartcard (Beta) for their customers during Q3 (cause that is what I heard)?

Will Citrix have a Type1 Hypervisor (Beta) for their customers during Q3 (cause that is what I heard)?

BTW, why doesnt VMware Support View4 with other brokers?

0 Kudos
PimmeW
Contributor
Contributor

Really cool but watching HD movies without lagging is nothing new for Citrix people! Smiley Happy They have done that for a very long time now....very long time

0 Kudos
JohnC42
Contributor
Contributor

PimmeW,

I agree with you. I've been involved View vs XenDesktop tests and Citrix typically wins. Should the customer start looking at remote access and client devices then Citrix looks even better.

It all depends who does the tests. If the server virtualization guys do the examination of VDI, they choose View because its from a company they have bet their careers on. If the desktop support group is involved, and take a serious look at user experience, then Citrix is chosen. One thing to remember. VDI has nothing to do with server virtualization. ESX if a fine product, so use it. VDI is a seperate animal with much different requirements.

From what I have heard from Citrix and VMware the Type 1 laptop hypervisor should be released by Citrix 6 months before VMware at a minimum. And, according to what both vendors have said would XenClient would have more features.

PCoIP sounds nice, but 1mb for a connection is too much. That's what the hardware PCoIP uses today and I doubt a software implementation will perform better than custom chips. In a WAN environment there is no WAN optimizer that would make much of a difference because PCoIP is UDP based.

With the recent changes in XenDesktop 4 (Oct 6) it represents a new ballgame. View can only compete against 1 part of XenDesktop. In other areas VMware has no comparitave features.

John

0 Kudos
Adriel77
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.!

There is no news comments about View 4 vs XenDesktop 4???

Have your customers finally tried PoIP?

Thank you

0 Kudos