VMware Horizon Community
munirmatar
Contributor
Contributor

Zero Client

I am planning to move from traditional VDI using normal PCs to zero Client machine , currently we have PC for each user and printers , scanner and smart reader scanner are connected to this pc and we are using VMware redirect printing and all drivers are installed on user PC

My question can I use zero client for the above scenario ,

Labels (1)
  • i

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you meant Teradici Zero client, no you cannot. The reason is that the zero client does not support many VMware(Broadcom) Horizon features like VIP, Scanner redirection, Smartcard redirection etc.. That said if you don't mind the performance you could use USB redirection feature for those printers, scanners and smartcard readers in some use cases as workaround, but in some cases they just don't work out. Particularly for printers an alternative is to use LBP(location-based printing). 

munirmatar
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Ofox for your time.

Do you know which brand of zero client can support VIP?

can you give more details about LBP? 

My target and challenge are to use zero client on our environment, it is possible.

0 Kudos
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VIP is a feature that is developed by VMware/Broadcom and requires software running in both client and agent sides. If a zero client does not have Horizon client software running inside it would not support Horizon feature VIP.

LBP: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon/2309/horizon-remote-desktop-features/GUID-A5982475-A4B3-47...

0 Kudos
munirmatar
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again

I found zero client machine with VMware horizon built in, i think VIP will work.

If yes, how it will deal with printer, scanner, smart card reader and any other drivers.

I found some model they have VMware horizon built in.

0 Kudos
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi munirmatar, if there is Horizon client software running inside the box - we usually call it thin client rather than zero client - you can have a try. I think it's quite possible to work. 

pcgeek2009
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We started moving to thin clients a while back. We went with IGEL. While you can get devices preinstalled, they offer the option to deploy on existing hardware. Therefore, you do not have to replace all of your hardware you can just reload the device. They also offer bootable thumb drive style devices that will boot to their "zero trust" client software. They are fully compatible with VMware. 

https://www.igel.com/vmware/

HussamRabaya
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

when you say Zero client be sure its not the old Devices with Teradici  PCOIP as dell still use the name zero client even with thinOS (linux) devicese , they call it Zero client and its support  PCOIP + blast protocol , such devices would support many features as printer redirection but not everything  , fro Dell Wyse you need to update firmware to get latest features