VMware Horizon Community
arkadiy
Contributor
Contributor

horizon APIs

Hi

We are trying to see how we can integrate Horizon VDI with our SDN product. We currently connect to vCenter to pull a lot of VM related information. However when it comes to VDI, looking at vCenter these are just regular VMs. Only thing i can use to sort of differentiate them is the fact they have a specific storage policy that was pushed by Horizon. Question - is there anything within vCenter API infrra that will allow us to pull Horizon specific info? If not, then does Horizon itself have APIs that can be accessed? How else can i access information about VDI VMs such as whats running where, which user is using them, how long they have been up, what pool they are part of etc.

Thanks

Arkadiy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ggordon
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Horizon does indeed have its own API called the View API. The easiest way to interface with it is through the new PowerCLI module for Horizon. Using PowerCLI makes it easy when trying to interact with multiple solutions such as vCenter and Horizon in a concerted way.

I published a blog article on this earlier this week. This covers what is there, how to install, get the started and some simple examples. I included links in all the things you will need including the View API Reference Documentation which gives all the services and methods that are available through the View API.

Automating VMware Horizon 7 with VMware PowerCLI 6.5 - VMware End-User Computing Blog - VMware Blogs

0 Kudos
arkadiy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Appreciate your response. Our focus would be not really on automating View but more on pulling information like association between VMs and users. If power cli can help with that and perhaps we can integrate it in our product (not just writing side scrypts), then its good.

THanks

Arkadiy

0 Kudos