VMware Horizon Community
bigal80ak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

installation fails windows 7 x64 vmware horizon client 5.4.2

is gets about 60% then says installation failed.

windows is up to date, c++ redistributable is up to date i  tried uninstalling restarting, installing restarting and that did nothing, i tried customizing and turned off all options and no luck.

i also tried redownloading vmware horizon client and did no good. I also turned off spybot and avast, ran as administrator nothing.

tried attaching logs i could find. Supposed to use this for work let me know if anything comes up.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The hosts file is still locked. AFAIK Avast has some additional settings regarding files like hosts.

vvdmInstUtil: 04/19/20 07:12:22 Searching for '127.0.0.1 view-localhost # view localhost server' in "C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\etc\hosts"dmInstUtil: 04/19/20 07:12:22 File exists: "C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\etc\hosts"

vdmInstUtil: 04/19/20 07:12:22 Pattern not found!

vdmInstUtil: 04/19/20 07:12:22 Appending text to file: "C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\etc\hosts"

vdmInstUtil: 04/19/20 07:12:22 ERROR: Failed to open file: "C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\etc\hosts": 13

What you can do, is to edit the hosts file manually, and add the entry that I've marked in red.

If the entry exists, the installer will skip this part.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi bigal80ak

Make sure the user account with which you are trying to install client, has full control over /etc/hosts file on the win7 machine and there is no lock set on the file.

Sometimes AV sets a lock on the file hence it is good to disable AV and try again after making sure the user has full control on hosts file.

Please mark reply as helpful/correct if resolves your issue.

0 Kudos
bigal80ak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you for the reply i tried what you suggested and i believe i did it correctly. i went to my windows system etc folder and changed the permission of it and all files in it to full control for my account. It had no effect, i then disabled all avast shields and spybot and ran again with no effect. it says something about 1603 at the end of the log?

Thank you for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The hosts file is still locked. AFAIK Avast has some additional settings regarding files like hosts.

vvdmInstUtil: 04/19/20 07:12:22 Searching for '127.0.0.1 view-localhost # view localhost server' in "C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\etc\hosts"dmInstUtil: 04/19/20 07:12:22 File exists: "C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\etc\hosts"

vdmInstUtil: 04/19/20 07:12:22 Pattern not found!

vdmInstUtil: 04/19/20 07:12:22 Appending text to file: "C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\etc\hosts"

vdmInstUtil: 04/19/20 07:12:22 ERROR: Failed to open file: "C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\etc\hosts": 13

What you can do, is to edit the hosts file manually, and add the entry that I've marked in red.

If the entry exists, the installer will skip this part.

André

0 Kudos
bigal80ak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i did what you said. While doing it i noticed the file was read only and would not let me make any changes. I am not sure whether it was your line that fixed it or removing the read only, that may have prevented it from being edited??

But it worked thank you very much. It was a great idea.

0 Kudos