VMware Horizon Community
Bob_Jenkins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"To use Windows 7 or to not use Windows 7, that is the question"

Dear All

We're looking to u/g from Leostrem/View 3 solely to View 4.5. This is an access-only environment (i.e. no hungry Apps installed, just Putty, WinSCP etc etc - about 1000 instances)...

Notwithstanding the cost of licences and the fact that XP goes out of support in 2014, RIGHT NOW, why would I use Win 7?

I love it for home use / laptops at work - but why would I want to use it in this particular VDI environment? I think VMware recommend 2 vCPUs, it seems more bloated, resource-hungry.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Definitely windows XP, the smaller footprint for CPU/Memory/Disk would allow you to have more windows xp than windows 7 on the same hosts. For example .. Windows XP can be as little as 512MB of RAM where as for windows 7 i would recommend 1GB minimum to be useable ..

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will need VECD (please google for more info) for virtual desktop implementation, in which you pay yearly SA fee to microsoft. either way you will need to pay for Windows 7 and then use a Windows XP. I do not see any cost saying for using Windows XP.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
Bob_Jenkins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. But in terms of resource usage - Windows 7 is hungrier? If we don't look at licence costs, and considering that the load on each VDI will be small, PER GIVEN INSTANCE, resource-wise, which would be the better bet?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Definitely windows XP, the smaller footprint for CPU/Memory/Disk would allow you to have more windows xp than windows 7 on the same hosts. For example .. Windows XP can be as little as 512MB of RAM where as for windows 7 i would recommend 1GB minimum to be useable ..

0 Kudos
Bob_Jenkins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thanks - makes sense, I appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

All the best to you, do read the best practices document (do let me know if you can't find it) that actually advise you on making your windows XP even thinner.

0 Kudos
amahmood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

where can i find this best practice guide? could do with reading it as will be creating images (xp) soon for our vdi pilot.

Asam

0 Kudos
JamesConaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you talking about this guide?

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/resources/vmware-view-xp-deployment-guide.pdf

Is this guide still relevant for view 4.5 or is their an updated or newer version of it?

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!
0 Kudos
Bob_Jenkins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry guys will dig this out when I get to work tomorrow and let you know the exact doc.

0 Kudos
Bob_Jenkins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Found it.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes this is the one, and the older guide for Windows XP.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points. This is not only to award points, but more to help others having similar issues to find an answer more quickly.

0 Kudos
amahmood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks James your a star! that doc is what I've been looking for.

Asam

0 Kudos