VMware Horizon Community
chaparral66
Contributor
Contributor

vmware view ipad "your desktop is loading too slowly...."

Hi all,

We're fighting this issue with using VMWare View on our iPads. I've already upgraded our Security and Connection servers to 4.6. iPads can now login fine the first time, but every subsequent login fails with the "your desktop is loading too slowly...." error. Rebooting the client device fixes the problem, but I'm hoping for a fix rather than a work-around.

Anyone have any experience with this problem?

Thank you.

Len

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
ericblc2
Contributor
Contributor

same problem here. I had no workaound... now I do Smiley Wink Thanks.

Vmware ... please fix this.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

What versions of View and View Client are you running?

Have you filed a SR with VMware support?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
ericblc2
Contributor
Contributor

5.1 and 5.2 for the View infrastructure.

2.0 for iPad client.

No SR. I will let others run with this one. I need to pick my battles. I have half a dozen already open. Tired.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Its hard to fix problems if they are not reported.

I use the iPad Client 5 days a week to View 5.1/5.2 connections-brokers and do not experience this.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
ericblc2
Contributor
Contributor

If it can help :

my particular situation (yesterday)

Ipad at home, view 5.2 is at work.

ipad is connected to work with native ipad  Cisco IPSec VPN.  (ESP)

Firewall/VPN  at work lets tcp 443, tcp 4172, udp 4172 in.

No security server. Just connecting to internal CS. No tunneling. This is our temporary way in during view pilot.

The problem had been reported lately by some ipad users at work but iPads are not "production" yet for us and we do have a lot of other issues to work on.

Was trying to connect from ipad/home all day yesterday testing after 5.2 upgrade at work. Every other client combo possible worked. Even MAC view client 2.0 from home.  Tera2 from work. Windows view client from work.

Ipad (using system status third party  app) connection list indicated tcp 443 "close wait" (to connection server) and  a tcp 4172 connection "syn sent" to the vm ... This means the first part (authentication by way of CS) seems to have gone well but that when the first phase of pcoip session started (tcp 4172) something was goin wrong along the way. Syn sent (along with op error message)  is indicator Of problem

only when I read this thread and rebooted the ipad was I able to connect. This seems like a slam dunk ipad app or ipad problem. Can't tell what the trigger conditions are. Sorry.

I understand that problems can't be fixed if they are not reported but at the same time opening an SR requires commitment and time. As I said I have half a dozen already running and I am asked 2-3 times a day by vmware support  to recreate problems and send logs ...  This ipad one is not critical to me yet so i won't commit.

0 Kudos
ericblc2
Contributor
Contributor

Well not that "slam dunk" after all.

Disregard my conclusions. I have the problem right now and rebooting did not fix it.

Don't know what to think anymore.:smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
zappom
Contributor
Contributor

Hi if you look at KB 1026766 there is also mentioned

PCoIP Ports

• 50002 (TCP/UDP)

Used for PCoIP in a VMware View 4.0.x and later environment. This port is required for the PCoIP display protocol on the software client and must be open in both directions.
  • 4172 (TCP/UDP)

Used for PCoIP in a VMware View 4.5 and later environment. This port is required for the PCoIP display protocol.
    The port 4172 UDP must be open in both inbound and outbound directions.
    The port 4172 TCP must be open in only the inbound direction.

Maybee you try to setup a firewall rule also for 50002 TCP and UDP inbound and outbound.

As mentioned in this topic is  that iPADs do only communicate on PCoIP so from a networking perspective i would suggest to investigate with the security guys who administrate the VPN Gateways if the rule set is ok for incoming vpn  traffic and port rules as mentioned above. Many people are confused and think only because they have a VPN connection all ports are automatically open but this is mostly not the fact.

So i would write a mail to the security guys in following way.

I need follwoing rules to be controlled

The port 50002 TCP must be open in both inbound and outbound directions.

The port 50002 UDP must be open in both inbound and outbound directions.

The port 4172 UDP must be open in both inbound and outbound directions.

The port 4172 TCP must be open in only the inbound direction.

0 Kudos