VMware Cloud Community
OnurSimsek
Contributor
Contributor

How to exchange data with guest os

Hi all,

Is there a programmatical way to exchange data (key-value pairs) with the guest os? i.e. for windows guests, I want to query certain section of the guest os registry. Somewhere i remember reading that this is possible using OVF tools. Any ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Check out vmrun. You might be able to use it for this.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
CRad14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Also depending on what you want to do Powershell/PowerCLI would probably work great for you.... what kind of info are you looking to get? Atleast for starters?

Conrad www.vnoob.com | @vNoob | If I or anyone else is helpful to you make sure you mark their posts as such! 🙂
0 Kudos
OnurSimsek
Contributor
Contributor

Actually we are using web services SDK to talk to vcenter. I was looking for a way to do this with SDK, and i stumbled upon a forum post which says this is possible with ovf tool.

We have an application that is installed on the guest OS and we want to be able to control this application thru registry keys. i.e. the application will read a registry key to read settings and again will write to registry to send results.

0 Kudos
OnurSimsek
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replies.

Within guest OS, we decided to use vmtoolsd.exe to access to extraConfig object of the VM. We will use WebServices SDK to access to extraConfig object outside the guest OS/

0 Kudos