VMware Cloud Community
mylesw
Contributor
Contributor

OVFTool on ESXi 3.5 - Works ok with single vmdk, fails with multi vmdk or vmdk > 8GB

I am migrating multiple VMs from one ESXi server to another due to some instability in the original ESXi hardware. I have been easily able to move, using OVFTool, all VMs except for one. This particular VM has a 80GB disk storage area, consisting of two VMDKs. The guest OS is Fedora and it uses LVMs to group the disks together into a logical drive in the guest.

When I move the VM to OVF, I get about 15% of the way through and then it fires an error:

Disk Transfer Failed

Error: Unable to get NFC ticket for target disk

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'Vim::Fault::NotAuthenticated::Exception'

what(): vim.fault.NotAuthenticated

The target file system is a NFS mounted volume, however 8 VMs prior to this transferred fine to it. This error is consistent, and I have shutdown the guest VM before transferring.

I found a post stating that if a OVF exceeds 8GB in size, it won't work with OVFTool, which I'm hesitant to believe, so just in case I added --chunkSize=7gb to be certain. That made no difference at all, although it did get through one of the chunks ok. Its almost like when it hits 8GB regardless of chunkSize, it fails. The other VMs that successfully transferred over were less than 8GB in size.

Here is the full command I'm using for this:

ovftool --chunkSize=7gb vi://192.168.100.11/TSWEB4_Fedora5_EMAIL /files/vmware_images/OVFs/TSWEB4_Fedora5_EMAIL.ovf

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Also can anyone confirm that OVFTool works fine with multiple VMDKs in a VM and where total file size exceeds 8GB?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Myles

0 Kudos
0 Replies