VMware Cloud Community
VRADlab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VirtualCenter permissions problem

Hello, hoping for some help on this one. The previous administrator left me in a bit of a bind.

For a folder in virtualcenter he assigned the "No Access" role to the local group "Users." He intended to prevent non-administrators from accessing this folder but it also applied the deny to the "Administrator" user. For now the workaround is to connect to the individual ESX servers as root and manually control the VMs, but this is not ideal. Can I somehow override this deny permission (even though it's a deny on the administrator account so I have no idea how to escalate priveledges even higher...)?

Is there a way to delete a deny permission on the local administrator account manually?

I was incorrect in my initial description. It's not a folder but two

VMs that I cannot access. I can see the folder just fine but it has two

VMs in it that I cannot reach because they each have No Access set for

the Users group.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

Can you login to VC with the VirtualCenter Administrator Role? If not then you will not be able to do much in the way of modification. If you have a good DBA you could edit the roles and permissions table of the VC database and remove the No Access role from anywhere in it for the Users group then once you restart VC you should be able to login as the Administrator.

Another option is to reinstall VC using a brand new database. That will also fix the problem.

If you can get in as a Virtual Center Administrator then you should remove Users from the No Access role. Create a new Group named 'VI Admins' add the appropriate users to this group perhaps include the Local administrator and only explicitly allow this group access. If you explicitly allow a group all other groups are denied. THere is no need to explicitly deny users if you set allow perms.... It is 'allow then deny' i.e. whitelists.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would modify the local group Users and remove the local administrator from that group - you then should be able to administer your VC

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
VRADlab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah, that's the annoying part. According to the windows GUI the "Administrator" account isn't in the "Users" group...but when the deny was assigned it disallowed the Administrator user to access it as well. So apparently the Administrator is part of the Users group. Neither can I see the permissions that were added in order to delete them with the Infrastructure Client.

In short, that answer won't work.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you create a new user with out adding it to the local users group and assign that user as administratpr at the top level of trhe inventory?

0 Kudos
krc1517
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Edit the role for No Access. Grant Everything

Propagate the permissions down.

Make the changes you need.

Reset the permissions for the No Access role.

Should work. Had the same issue.

0 Kudos
krc1517
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

BTW, the Users local group includes the Authenitcated Users group so that's why your Local Admins are being blocked.

0 Kudos
VRADlab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can't edit the "No Access" role, assumeably because it is one of the core roles? I can edit any of the "Virtual Machine Administrator" and such roles.

I also tried removing the Authenticated Users group from Users to no avail.

0 Kudos
VRADlab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have another user account not in the "Users" group that is still denied access to the VMs so that didn't work either. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
quksilver
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm betting that the Administrator account has "full access", but that it is inheriting the permission from somewhere higher in the hierarchy. The most specific application of a permission is the one that applies. Because the Administrator group belongs to the User group, and the User group is assigned No Access at the folder level, that overrides the inherited full access.

Easy fix, though. Just edit the permissions on the folder to explicitly grant the Administrators group full access.

0 Kudos
VRADlab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A deny takes precedence over an Allow any place you put it. I was incorrect in my initial description. It's not a folder but two VMs that I cannot access. I can see the folder just fine but it has two VMs in it that I cannot reach because they each have No Access set for the Users group.

If I apply Administrator access to the folder I still cannot see the VMs beneath it.

0 Kudos
quksilver
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you "deny" a permission in VC? I'm not recalling one...that sounds like Windows terminology. No Access is just a role with no permissions; it's not a permission that is explicitly denied, right? I'm wondering if the No Access was applied directly to the VMs, as well as the folder? Is that something you can check, and perhaps change, by connecting to the ESX server directly?

0 Kudos
VRADlab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The "No Access" role is a deny in that none of the boxes (allows) are checked. Thus it takes precedence over allows. I cannot edit this role (if someone can tell me how that would work) in the same way that I cannot edit what an Administrator role is. I am attempting this by right-clicking the role and the "edit" option is greyed out. I can edit any roles except the 3 non-core roles (No Access, Read only, administrator). No Access was applied to the VMs themselves, not the folder.

0 Kudos
quksilver
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is no "deny" permission to take precedence over an "allow" permission. The No Access is taking precedence only because it has been applied on the VM, and the Administrator permission is being inherited. I can think of a couple fixes. One, figure out how to apply the Administrator permission directly to the VMs and all will be well, but not sure how to do that so not very helpful. Two, clone the VMs or create a new VM that uses the same vmdk files (make sure the original is powered off, though) and assign the correct permissions to the new VMs.

0 Kudos
VRADlab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can't see the VMs so I can't apply a new permission or clone them. I can access them on the ESX server by logging in as root but that doesn't help me with virtualcenter permissions. I may be able to manually copy the hard drives to a new vm and give that a shot. I was hoping to have the permissions aspect resolved directly to prevent downtime/possible breaking.

I guess there is no workaround (which means the system is doing it's job I suppose) I'll have to give destroying and recreating the VMs a shot.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

Can you login to VC with the VirtualCenter Administrator Role? If not then you will not be able to do much in the way of modification. If you have a good DBA you could edit the roles and permissions table of the VC database and remove the No Access role from anywhere in it for the Users group then once you restart VC you should be able to login as the Administrator.

Another option is to reinstall VC using a brand new database. That will also fix the problem.

If you can get in as a Virtual Center Administrator then you should remove Users from the No Access role. Create a new Group named 'VI Admins' add the appropriate users to this group perhaps include the Local administrator and only explicitly allow this group access. If you explicitly allow a group all other groups are denied. THere is no need to explicitly deny users if you set allow perms.... It is 'allow then deny' i.e. whitelists.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
VMTN Community Moderator
0 Kudos
VRADlab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can login as the Administrator to the windows machine as well as VirtualCenter itself. I can even create new users and give them the Administrator role. The problem is all of the new users are included in the "Users" group on the local system which is what the No Access role was applied to. The original admin for this system used the local Administrators and Users groups, which is causing all the problems. I have since created groups specifically for VMWare Administrators and users but there is this legacy problem of two VMs having a No Access role on the "Users" group.

It seems the best bet is your recommendation to modify the database itself. This is the sort of information I was looking for as any workarounds dealing with accounts don't seem to work. I'll see if I can get in to the DB and poke around to fix the problem.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

You could also try unregistering the VM and reregistering under a new folder/resource pool... That may get rid of the perms as well. Not sure on that one.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
====

--
Edward L. Haletky
VMTN Community Moderator
0 Kudos
VRADlab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found the database and manually deleted the rows from the Access table. Thanks.

0 Kudos
ggpptt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same problem after adding "Read Only" access to group "Users" for a Datacenter.

After that, that rule has precedence over inherited permissions for administrator. Also, administrator has no longer permission to edit the rule, nor anything else like deleting the datacenter tree to create it again.

Access rules in vCenter DB are removed when users or groups are deleted on Active Directory or the local user database at vCenter Server, but "Users" group is a built-in one, and thus can't be deleted by any means.

Finally I went to SQLserver and manually delete the evil access rule.

The schema purposes are not very clear, but I happened to delete only one record and it worked. So I guess that I erased the right entry. Please, note that ids can vary depending on how many permissions you already have. I only had 2 entries because I was working with a test installation.

Here you can find how to do it.

Regards.

-

Open CMD console:

C:\> cd C:\Program files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn

C:\Program files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn> SQLCMD.EXE -S localhost\SQLEXP_VIM -d VIM_VCDB -Q "select id,principal from VPX_access;"

id principal

-

-

1 Administrators

12 Users

(2 rows affected)

C:\Program files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn> SQLCMD.EXE -S localhost\SQLEXP_VIM -d VIM_VCDB -Q "delete from VPX_access where id=12;"

(1 rows affected)

---

And now restart Virtual Center service.

0 Kudos