VMware Cloud Community
mherman1989
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to authenticate

When I tried to test recovery plan it ends with error:

Failed to authenticate with the array management system while executing 'testFailover' command.

I use vCenter 4.0 and SRM 4.0 with IBM DS4800(protected site) and IBM DS5020(recovery site)

Any ideas what should I do?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Is Array Manager properly configured at both sites?

If yes, maybe the password of the user that SRM uses to connect to the array has been changed?

Do you use up-to-date version of SRA?

0 Kudos
mherman1989
Contributor
Contributor

When I want to edit Array Manager settings I've got this:

How can I set password?

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Actually we don't work with DS storage, so I don't know how authentication to the storage is working in your case.

Since the error message was "authentication failed" , I have assumed that you need to provide username/password.

0 Kudos
vijayagce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

After installing SRA in your setup, did u read the readme file of IBM SRA?. In that readme file they told that we have to update manifest.xml file with array username and password. So I think you have to update the manifest.xml file(which will be in SRA installaer location) with storage subsystem password.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Menayof
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all, I have the same problem with a DS4800. I modified the manifest.xml file, so now I can enter username and password. BUT I still have the same error. The funny thing is that when I edit array properties the username and password are always blank, so it seems it does NOT stores this info correctly because it seems to dissapear.

If someone solves this problem, please let me know

Thanks

0 Kudos
vijayagce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Did you restart the SRM service on both primary and secondary SRM server after modified the manifest.xml file on both sites?. If you did these settings correctly then array manager will connect with storage subsystem.

Also ERM is prerequisites for both storage subsystems.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Menayof
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I did restart the services, otherwise it wont present you the option for entering the username/password, which I already did. Another problem is that it doesnt seem to check this username/password when you enter it and press connect. I assume that it operates at read only level anyway because you can actually see array pairing and finish the wizard

Thanks

0 Kudos
vijayagce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

May I know the SRA bild version and ESX,VC, SRM build versions also?

0 Kudos
Menayof
Contributor
Contributor

Sure:

SMSRA 01.01.x5.06

ESX 4.1.0

Vsphere 4 enterprise, VC 4.1

SRM 4.1.0

0 Kudos
vijayagce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you do the following:

1) Try to login the Storage subsystem using IBM DS Storage manager with the password what u are given in the <PasswordAuth(case sensitive)>*****</PasswordAuth>.

2) Give any username like admin and password while configure the storage manager in srm plug-in

3) Better reconfigure the storage subsystem without password and remove the <PasswordAuth>*****</PasswordAuth> tag from manifest.xml file, restart srm service and try to configure the storage manager (have to restart srm service on both sites)

Because it seems your password is incorrect.

And What about your storage configuration with secondary storage subsystem? How many logical dives are EnhancedRemoteMirrored with seocndary site?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Menayof
Contributor
Contributor

From the readme that comes with srma:

a. Open Manifest.xml.

b. Locate the

<PasswordAuth>password_here</PasswordAuth>

IP1

IP2

Still doesnt work. I know the password is correct for sure

If I remove passAuth line it only works read only so is the same error when doing a test

I have more that 50 replicated mirrors in recovery site with another ds4800 with same password

thanks

0 Kudos
vijayagce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is this your test environment or production env?

If it is test env, can you please send me anyone of the SRA test case (MathchPrimarySiteLuns) log.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Menayof
Contributor
Contributor

Its a production site and Im not the storage person. Not sure what logs are you asking. The smsra agent logs?

I answer myself after studying the smsra log:

Command executed:

"C:/Program Files (x86)/VMware/VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager/scripts/SAN/IBM/SMsra.exe" testFailover arrayName=DS4800 arrayAddress=10.32.132.80 arrayAddress=10.32.132.81 action=start arrayPassword=good pass here initiatorGroupList initiatorGroupId=iScsi-fc-all initiatorId=21:00:00:1b:32:9e:39:3a initiatorType=fc initiatorId=21:01:00:1b:32:be:39:3a initiatorType=fc lunAccess replicaLunKey=600a0b800047d2360000120d4c9abcb7 initiatorGroupId=iScsi-fc-all replicaLunKey=600a0b800047d2360000120d4c9abcb7 initiatorGroupId=iScsi-fc-all replicaLunKeyList replicaLunKey=600a0b800047d2360000120d4c9abcb7 arrayId=600a0b80004746de000000004afa10bf logLevel=trivia outputFile=cliFailover876(2010-09-30 09:30:21) ::INFO::SMsra::Initializing SRA Logger with Params: LogType=Priority-based logging LogLevel=INFO LogStore=STDOUT LogFileName= DumpFileName= InitStatus=1

BUT:

#1] Current CGN=1759652

(2010-09-30 09:30:23) ::ERROR::SMsra::TestFailover::createSnapshot::Failed to create Snapshot! ReturnCode 30

(2010-09-30 09:30:23) ::ERROR::SMsra::TestFailover::createSnapshot::Return Code is RETCODE_AUTH_FAIL_PASSWORD = Password provided is invalid

ErrorHandling1

:INFO:main:Done with failover

0 Kudos
Menayof
Contributor
Contributor

Problem solved. There was an invalid character in the manifest.xml

Thanks all for your help

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Great post, I did the Manifest file <PasswordAuth>password_here</PasswordAuth> then redid the SRM 1st step adding the username of Admin and the storage required password, restared the SRM service and all is good ....

0 Kudos