VMware Cloud Community
MikeLaskowski
Contributor
Contributor

SRM on NFS on NetApp Unable to create placeholder virtual machine at the recovery site:

Hey guys,

I am setting up SRM using NFS on NetApp storage. I’m using the latest versions of everything, SRM, SRA 1.4, vCenter 4U1, ESX 4U1 etc.. I rebooted everything multiple times etc.. I was able to successfully setup the connections between my sites, the Array manager, Inventory mappings etc.. I can see my test VM replicated when I browse the datastore at the recovery site. Now I am trying to setup the Protection group from my protected site. I keep getting an error saying:

“Unable to create placeholder virtual machine at the recovery site: Recovery virtual machine could not be created: Unable to access file WIN2K3-SERVER01_1

I attached the screenshot.

One thing I noticed when browsing the datastore on the recovery site the folder name is WIN2K3-SERVER01 looking at the error there is a underscore_1 WIN2K3-SERVER01_1 not sure if that’s normal, I’m having a feeling it’s a access issue on the NetApp side, Please let me know if you have any ideas or tips.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MikeLaskowski
Contributor
Contributor

Never mind! Guys I figured it out. I guess when choosing the placeholder for the VM in the recovery site you cannot choose the same datastore that is being replicated / where the VMDK files are located from the replica, Make total sense Smiley Wink Once I choose a LUN that is local to my recovery site it worked.

0 Kudos
VIme
Contributor
Contributor

Can i ask you what king of vm you have in your config for this? is it oracle on NetApp ?

0 Kudos
MikeLaskowski
Contributor
Contributor

No, for this I just had a plain Windows 2003 VM. I was setting this up in my Lab for testing. But I can tell you we do have clients running Oracle in VMs and SRM.

0 Kudos
VIme
Contributor
Contributor

so did you have any SnapManager product (like SnapManager for Exchange..), SnapMirror or Snapdrive soft in there ?

0 Kudos
MikeLaskowski
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it all depends on how we set it up, But we do have some clients using RDM's for exchange, SQL, oracle etc.. so they use some of the Netapp options. It really depends on your requirements. If you would like to talk more regarding options and NetApp send me your contact info and I can give you a call tomorrow. I work for a reseller of NetApp and VMware and we can help you get going.

0 Kudos
VIme
Contributor
Contributor

REMOVE

0 Kudos