VMware Cloud Community
ritujain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Site Recovery Manager - Recovery Plans Export/Import

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions about SRM:

1. Which SRM version supports export of recovery plans in xml, doc and html formats? Is there a CLI to do the same?

2. Is it possible to script import of recovery plans?

3. Where do recovery plans reside? in SRM DB or vCenter?

4. Is it possible to script an automatic failover on disaster without intervention of the administrator? As in without clicking any button?

5. Is there any limitation on the distance between production site and DR site, for both synchronous and asynchronous?

6. Is SRM 5.5 compatible with vSphere (5.1.2) ?

Thank you so much for your answers Smiley Happy

Regards,

Ritu

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPasek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Export of "Recovery plan steps" is available even in SRM 5.1 but it cannot be imported back therefore it is not recovery plan export/import you expect. I was expecting the same about year ago. Export of recovery plan steps is good for DR documentation but not for RP backup and recovery.

To be honest I don't have hands-on experience with 5.5 but I don't see anything about import in documentation therefore I expect same behavior like in 5.1.

Just my $0.2

-- The devil is in the detail.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DavidPasek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ad 1/  none SRM version support export/import from GUI nor CLI

As 2/. We tried once to script export/import and we were unsuccessful as it must be done on SRM database which is not officially documented and managed object ref ids are used. Therefore it is very risky and you do not have guarantee it will work on next version.

Ad 3/  answered already

Ad 4/ yes it is. You can start recovery plan via API. For more information about API look at https://www.vmware.com/support/developer/srm-api/srm_50_api.pdf

Ad 5/ it depends on storage replication. Synchronous replication is limited because of latency (response time) which should be less then 5ms

Ad 6/ check Software interoperability on vmware.com but usually same versions are required

David

ritujain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi David,

Thank you for your answers. They are very helpful. But SRM 5.5 supports export of recovery plan steps. Checkout this link:

Site Recovery Manager 5.5 Documentation Center

Is recovery plan steps same as recovery plan?

Regards,

Ritu

0 Kudos
DavidPasek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Export of "Recovery plan steps" is available even in SRM 5.1 but it cannot be imported back therefore it is not recovery plan export/import you expect. I was expecting the same about year ago. Export of recovery plan steps is good for DR documentation but not for RP backup and recovery.

To be honest I don't have hands-on experience with 5.5 but I don't see anything about import in documentation therefore I expect same behavior like in 5.1.

Just my $0.2

0 Kudos
ritujain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah. You are correct. Just tried that export feature on SRM 5.1.

Thanks again Smiley Happy

0 Kudos