VMware Cloud Community
MattG
Expert
Expert

Swap file VMFS best practices for large cluster?

I understand the benefits of using a VM swapfile datastore for VMs that will be replicated.   However,  if I have a large cluster (500+ VMs),  is it OK to have all vSphere hosts in the cluster use the same VMFS volume for  500+ swap files?    This is assuming that memory would never be so constrained that the swap files would be used.    If it is OK to do this,  would it be a concern if the VMFS volume was on a host/datastore that didn't support ATS Locking via VAAI?

It would be a good alternative if you could create full memory reservations on VMs to be used by SRM.  However,  it appears that vSphere still creates a 0K .vswp file when using a full memory reservation,  which will still need to be deleted by SRM on failover which will slow the process down.

Thanks,

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
1 Reply
kermic
Expert
Expert

My first concern would be the boot storm that you should definitely expect during recovery / testing on DR site, especially if hosts / array don't support ATS. Depending on number of hosts and simultaneously started VMs, locking conflicts could slow down the recovery plan execution.