VMware Cloud Community
michelemase
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to display datastore groups

Hi

for testing SRM i have setted up a LAB:

2 Netapp dataontap 8 simulators..one at protected site, one at recovery site.

on the first dataontap i've created a volume and replicated it to the second one (at recovery site) with snapmirror.

The replication is working fine.

Then i've exported via NFS the volume to my esx servers (at protected site) and mounted it on those esx. all is ok..i can see the datastore and i create virtual machines ... i can see the vm's replicated on the recovery datastore.

On the recovery site i've exported the replica volume and mounted it via NFS to the esx servers of the recovery site ... is that right?

i have to mount the datastore in read-only? ..on recovery site, the netapp have putted the volume replicated in restricted mode, so i assume i need to mount the NFS in read only ?

well..

then i've installed SRM, SRM plugings and SRA, both on protected and recovery...

paired the 2 SRM ...and

1) configured the Array Managers on protected site..al is ok ...configure inventory mappings ..ok

then on recovery site i've tried to setup the Array Managers but, at the final step i've got a warning:

Unable to display datastore groups. Replicated devices could not be matched with datastoer inventory.

And if i try to make a Protection Group, i can see on the vCenter at recovery site an error on Creating Virtual machine. Unable to access datastore

any tips?

thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Replicated volumes should not be presented to the ESX hosts on the recovery site.

Did you install and configure SRA according to Netapp documentation?

0 Kudos
michelemase
Contributor
Contributor

hi

yes sure the sra was configured

but on the recovery site i always got a warning message on the final step:

Unable to display datastore groups. Replicated devices could not be matched with datastoer inventory.

while on the protection site all it is ok.

what datastore i should configure on the recovery site?

i'm thinking about using flexclone? what do you think

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Actually I don't have an experience with Netapp storage. I believe your issue is in SRA or storage configuration.

Make sure you are using supported and up-to-date version of SRA.

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you want to test failover without powering down the VMs, you will need flexclone. I would recommend it.

A+, DCSE, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, MCDBA, NCDA, VCP4

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.

0 Kudos
MikeLaskowski
Contributor
Contributor

Hey did you ever figure out why you were getting the error at the recovery site? unable to display datastore groups? I'm having the same problem, Two NetApp's using NFS, configured the arrays at the protected site and everything looks good, but when I do the exec same thing at the recovery site I get the error unable to display datastore groups….., everything looks green during the wizard process and on top of that everything seems to be working OK did tons of DR tests and even one true failover and it worked great? But I do want to get rid of that error.

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I had the same issue. It ended up being a combination of missing conifgs. I had to grant my hosts read/write access to the export of the datastore I wanted to use, even though the hosts had root-access, they still NEED read/write. The other piece of the puzzle I needed was the creation of a "dummy" igroup of type vmware.

A+, DCSE, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, MCDBA, NCDA, VCP4

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.

0 Kudos