VMware Cloud Community
pipev
Contributor
Contributor

dns_update.cmd failing

I am trying to run the version of dns_update.cmd that is included in SRM 4.1 and it seems to be failing when it encounters a ')' character in path names.

For example, when I run:

dns_update.cmd -cmd add -hostname bloguat01 -srv "10.132.20.80" -srvtype windns -u "username" -p "password" -fzone "ny2.corp.exad.net" -rzone "10.61.20" -ip "240" -toolspath "C:\Program Files\PsTools" -skipmode "TEST"

I get the output:

1. Verifying input data

\Dell\SysMgt\RAC5 was unexpected at this time.

-

"\Dell\SysMgt\RAC5" appears in my PATH environment variable:

Path=C:\Program Files\3PAR\Plug-In for VMware vSphere\;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\SysMgt\RAC5;C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\SysMgt\oma\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files (

x86)\3PAR\inform_cli_2.3.1\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\external\perl-5.8.8\bin

This also happens if I add a ')' character to the toolspath command line option. I was originally using the toolspath parameter of "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsTools" which resulted in the error:

\PsTools was unexpected at this time.

Since 32-bit applications installed on Windows 2008 R2 often use the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)" removing the offending characters from my PATH environment variable isn't an option.

Has anyone else run into this problem with dns_update.cmd on Windows 2008 R2 and was able to work around it?

Thanks.

V/

0 Kudos
2 Replies
harryreed
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar problem with it reporting "\Microsoft" was unexpected at this time.

It seems to be an issue with the code below in the script, although I havent worked out why.

IF DEFINED TOOLSPATH (

SET PATH=%PATH%;%TOOLSPATH%

)

Lines 280-282.

I got round the issue by putting all the values in my path variable in "" (double quotes) as it can't handle spaces in the path properly.

i.e.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;

becomes

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\";

I did this in the environment variables setting for the system so the change is persistent. Once I had done this it worked fine.

Odurasler2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

post back when you get this solved. i have experienced the same issue.

0 Kudos