VMware Support Community
michael10
Contributor
Contributor

Finding ID vSphere-VMmorethan3snapshots-KB#1025279 and vVols

Should I be concerned with the above finding if my VM is using vVols for storage?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Aditya2018
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello @michael@milliken

VMware does not recommend running production Virtual Machines on Snapshots for an extended period of time, irrespective of storage type the performance is degraded and there is a threat of corruption.

Sincerely, Aditya Gottumukkala Skyline Skyline Moderator VMware Inc
0 Kudos
woolerym1
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a way to disable this finding though - there are several 3rd party backup and replication tools that have multiple snapshots by design.  all of a sudden, we are getting Skyline errors several times a day, and there is no way we can resolve this.

0 Kudos
RPSVW
Contributor
Contributor

The inclusion of data protection technologies and finding "vSphere-VMsnapshotover7days-KB#1025279" increase the difficulty in following VMware provided snapshot best practices. As the quantity of VMs linked to the findings grows, so does the challenge. I am willing to engage with someone within VMware Skyline Product Management to help develop a solution for findings like this one that are not easy to address. 

I have spoken to several within the vCommunity and the only viable solution suggested to me is to refine a PowerCLI script that connects to a vCenter Server and gathers all snapshot details then filter down to snapshots not linked to the activities of a Data Protection strategy. The output can then be emailed to an Admin for further review. The challenge with this option is the Admin time is typically stretched thin and emails are frequently lost amongst all the noise. Hiding the finding is not a good option because it limits the ability of Skyline to highlight a forgotten/abandoned snapshot.

Product Manager can reach out to me via email at vwood@recoverypoint.com

0 Kudos