cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcoem to the Forums - The difference comes from the time when Storage Netwroks were first being developed - Two paths were developed - SAN and NAS each provided storage via a network- to understandthe difference you need to understand what command are transported across each network -

SAN - In a SAN the packet, either Firber Channel or iSCSI, is carrying a SCSI command which causes the SAN to return the approriate blocks

NAS - Only supports two protocols - SMBfor Windows oe NFS for Unix/Linux. ESX only uses NFS. So for NAS the command is no longer a SCSI command but a file system command - when the command reaches your NAS device the file system command is operated and the data is returned to your ESX host.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcoem to the Forums - The difference comes from the time when Storage Netwroks were first being developed - Two paths were developed - SAN and NAS each provided storage via a network- to understandthe difference you need to understand what command are transported across each network -

SAN - In a SAN the packet, either Firber Channel or iSCSI, is carrying a SCSI command which causes the SAN to return the approriate blocks

NAS - Only supports two protocols - SMBfor Windows oe NFS for Unix/Linux. ESX only uses NFS. So for NAS the command is no longer a SCSI command but a file system command - when the command reaches your NAS device the file system command is operated and the data is returned to your ESX host.

0 Kudos
Jdsony5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply mate. thanks for your time

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No worries - hope it is clear now -

0 Kudos