VMware Horizon Community
Matheen
Contributor
Contributor

Iexplore.exe entry point thinapping Java

Hi all

I am following this vmware article

http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2010/01/step-by-step-instructions-on-how-to-thinapp-newer-java-versi...  on thinapping different java version. Our customer has got at least 5 versions of java which they would like to thinapp. My question here

1. When I go through the java capture process, it is not showing 'iexplore.exe' as one of the debugging entry point (apart from cmd and regedit). (rather,It is happening with all our capture process. Even I have lauched the IE and checked the explore.exe was running in task manager before I started the capture. I undestand that I could manually add the explore.exe entry point from the package.ini file, but is there a reason why it is not showing the iexplore.exe entry point? It is bit annoying.

2. The second part of this question is 'Once I thinapp 5 versions of java, I could applink to a browser (to run all version of java simultaneously, If I do that will it cause any conflict?) or what is the best way to deliver differnt versions of java on to a browser?

Regards

Matheen

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1. In 4.6 did we move this Entry Point to the Internet Explorer button you see after doing the first snapshot (pre-installation snapshot). Press this button and choose the second option (middle one).

2. It depends how you mean. If each Java package have their own IE Entry Point then you should be able to run each Java completely isolated from each other, side by side at the same time. If you AppLink them together will it be the same thing as having them locally installed, possible but quite hard to achieve. Normally will the last loaded AppLink win and in this case be the Java that gets activated..

0 Kudos
Matheen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Peter

Thanks for your reply.

1. I have added the entry point (found in the Internet Explorer options after the prescan, as you mentioned) and thinapped Java.

2.  You mentioned "It depends how you mean. If each Java package have their own IE Entry Point then you should be able to run each Java completely isolated from each other, side by side at the same time" , which I understood.

Bu my question is If I have virtualised IE and 4 thinapped different java versions (by using the method mentioned in my first post), Would I be able to add these 4 thinapped version as an optional applink to my base virtualised IE pacakge?

If I do, Will it load all the versions of java with the virtualised IE?

How would an app find which version of java to use if it has got all in its applinks?

Regards

Matheen

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

By AppLinking all 4 Java packages together will you have conflicts by default. So in reality would it mean that the Java package loaded last would win and be the active Java JRE. Load order can be hard coded in the package.ini but by default is it in an alphabetic order (the names of the Java packages will decide the load order).

That said, there is ways of having many Java JREs installed and working side by side on physical machines without using virtualization. It is quite hard to achieve but possible. The same procedure will work with ThinApp. So you could create a package using this technic and it should work.

jsehmi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can someone post step-by-step instructions on How to Thinapp mulltiple versions of Java using Thinapp 4.6. I know certain options have changed with this version, where some editing in package.ini is not required. I have a requirement of running 3 versions of jre on the same machine with IE8.

Thanks in advance for your help.

JD

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What do you mean? How-to capture Java? Please look if these blog posts helps you:

http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2010/01/step-by-step-instructions-on-how-to-thinapp-newer-java-versi...

http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2008/10/step-by-step-in.html

http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2010/06/java-16-tweaks.html

http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2010/04/java-pop-ups-slow-in-ie.html

If you are talking about capturing many different Java versions into one and the same package is it not a ThinApp specific issue. It is the exact same procedure doing this on a native machine as it is to capture it with ThinApp. I would suggest you browse http://www.appdeploy.com/ for info on how to accomplish this.

0 Kudos
Matheen
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Peter for your answer. All the java versions have been thinapped with its IE entry point (set to use the local IE on the host PC) and all working ok.

0 Kudos
jsehmi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is what I am looking for - I want to allow the native installed IE8 to be able to use multiple versions of thinapp'd jre when an application requires. With versions 1.6.x onwards, the older 1.6 versions get overwritten. Some of our applications are very specific on which version of 1.6 can be used, and the application forces the users to download the required jre. Is this possible or am I just smoking some green stuff ?? Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Having specific Java JREs completely isolated from eachother is definatley possible. Most of the times is it different 1.x releases customers choose to separate but you can separate different 1.6.x just as easily.

0 Kudos
jsehmi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well I have tried doing thinapp of jre 1.6.x only, but how do I link it to the native IE8 browser? Any ideas/ steps would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You need to launch the native IE within the same virtual environment as you Java JRE. During setup capture, after pre installation snapshot will the wizard show a button called Internet Explorer. Press this one and choose the second (middle) option. This will create an Entry Point to the locally installed IE and launch it within the virtual environment of Java. For those already created projects simply open the package.ini and add this to the end of it:

[Internet Explorer.exe]

Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Shortcut=YourDataContiner.exe

..and hit build.bat.

0 Kudos
jsehmi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Peter,

I got it working.works like a charm. Now the only issue is, when the browser is launched IE8 (from the virtual container) goes back to original settings, where it prompts for Accelerator settings blah blah.. (same behavior as if IE8 was installed the very first time). Got to dig around, I think it is something to do with user profile.

Thnaks for your help.

JD

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Any special IE settings you would like must either be specified within each Java packages or you need to make sure the packages do not use Full isolation mode on parts of the registry where IE settings are stored. This would allow the IE while launching within the environment of Java to see the local settings.

You have the option to use local settings or customized settings for IE in each Java package.

0 Kudos
vibarthez
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Speaking about java versions and IE, i have a very strange case for you...

We use two applications wich are IE7 based with only thindirect redirection to intranet adress. Very simple applications.

Application 01  is configured with an Applink of java 1.5 and Aapplication 02 with java 1.6.

Both application are installed from the msi file in the View Administrator console.

Applications were packaged one by one on a spcecific virtual machine Windows XP SP3 based, clean. Same thing with java versions. (but not with internet explorer as entry point....)

When i try to launch application 02 from the VDI desktop, IE7 starts, then i have a look inside sandbox location and the sandbox of application 01 appears too !!!!!!!    If i choose to log in application 02, the java version launched is 1.5, version linked with application 01 !!!!!

i've tried all sorts of isolation, package were located of DFS root so i moved to simple file server,

I can't understand what happens with this applications, there are supposed to launch her java applications independantly...

if a choose to install only application 02 on the VDI, it works fine !!

Does someone have allready seen that before ?

Thanks you very much for your help...

ThinAPP 4.6 or 4.7

Windows XP SP3

Internet Explorer 7

View 4.6

0 Kudos