VMware Horizon Community
Amoussa20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Installing Thinapp on windows nt 4 sp6

Hi,

I am having problem installing thinapp on windows nt 4 sp6.

I am getting the following error "the procedure entry point SetFilePointerEx could not be located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll"

as per the documentation thinapp is supported on NT4.

any suggestions?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Theike
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

First a welcome to the forums.

I have not recently used NT4 anymore but i know the older versions (i think i used 4.0.3) do support it.

Maybe something broke during the later releases and i could understand it if versions are not tested on the platform.

Please test using an 'older' version and if applicable file a support request...

btw: do you get the error during the capture or when running an application? If it is during the run (start app) of an application that does work on XP, it might be the application that is not NT4 compatible... Try installing the application on NT4 locally to verify this...

Kind regards,

Michael Baars - Comprehensive ICT Solutions (NL)

Add-on: If it is just the installation of ThinApp try the following:

Install ThinApp on XP and copy the VMware ThinApp folder (program files) to the NT4 machine...

Please mark the post answered if so and reward helpfull answers by assigning points...

Michael Baars - Comprehensive ICT Solutions (NL, Weert) (Remember to mark the post answered and reward points to those who helped you...)
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I think the ThinApp installer simply do not support NT4. Try to install it on a Windows XP and simply copy the ThinApp folder to your Windows NT machine. Setup Capture is ThinApped it self so this will work.

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

From page 11 in the latest ThinApp User's Guide.

Operating_Systems_Applications_and_Systems_That_ThinApp_Supports.png

So if Windows NT isn't supported then someone needs to notify the Documentation Team to correct the documentation.

0 Kudos
Amoussa20111014
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried to install Thinapp 4.6 and 4.5, I receive the above error directly after running the setup file.

As for the version 4.0.1 the setup starts and then displays the below error "Unable to create Temp folder", I will try to install it on winxp and copy the folder to Win NT

When I try to install version 4.0.1Untitled.png

0 Kudos
Amoussa20111014
Contributor
Contributor

I have copied "c:\program files\vmware\vmware thinapp" from windows XP to windows NT 4 and it seems working.

Note that only version 4.0.1 works, all other version will raise an error.

Hope the thinapped application will work on win XP

Thanks for your help guys.

0 Kudos
Squidly_Man
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I know the documentation says VMware still supports it but too my knowledge I believe VMware stopped supporting NT4 with ThinApp 4.6.0.

I just tested this yesterday and ThinApp 4.6.0 still works on a cleanly built NT4 SP6a system so you can still use that.

I didn't test the install of ThinApp 4.6.0, just the Setup Capture.  If the install fails, you can always use the command line switches to extract it out of the EXE and MSI and then manually place it on the system.  Use a "/?" on both the EXE and on MSIEXEC.EXE to see their respective helps for extracting their contents.

NT4 SP6a Running ThinApp 4.6.0.png

-Dean F.

http://pubs.vmware.com/thinapp4/help/

-Dean F. https://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/identitymanager-pubs.html
0 Kudos