VMware Cloud Community
cypherx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can VUM Scan a host when a cluster is not healthy?

I have an 8 ESXi vmware cluster.  the 8th server is currently offline to vCenter because hostd will not stay started.  I have a case open with VMWare on this.  Because of this my VMWare cluster is not healthy.  That 8th server is on ESXi 6.0u2.  The 7th server is also on that version, but servers 1 through 6 are on 5.0 patch 12.  I wanted to scan server 6 so I could remediate and update its ESXi to 6.0u2, but the scan always fails.

I am wondering if this is because the cluster is not healthy and there is an HA issue?  I tried the scan in both the C# and the web client.  Both times I get "VMware vSphere UpdateManager had an unknown error.  Check the events and log files for details."

Where are the events and log files I can check?

Windows vCenter server 6.0 update 2

VUM + VR 6.1.1 + SRM 6.1 + vROPS 6.1

6 ESXi 5.0 patch 12

2 ESXi 6.0 update 2 (though one is not responding)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership

I don't think cluster health status matters as each host is scanned separately.

Logs for update manager should have the default location of here on the server with Update Manager installed: C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Logs

Let us know what you find from those.

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk
0 Kudos
cypherx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I can only scan hosts from the Windows vCenter server itself using the vSphere C# client connecting to itself.  Something on our network or Windows firewall prevents my Windows 10 machine from scanning for updates using VUM, both the web client or C# client.  Our Windows firewall is applied by GPO, so I temporally moved my PC out of this OU in active directory and ran a gpupdate /force, effectively removing the Windows Firewall policy and allowing me to temporally turn it off.  Scanning using VUM worked fine then.  So I put my PC back in the correct OU of course which then the GPO re-enabled the Windows firewall to our corporate settings and I can no longer use VUM from a workstation.  We will just RDP to vCenter server and run all updates from there.

0 Kudos