VMware Cloud Community
Frans_P
Contributor
Contributor

ESX4 update 1 hangs at "remediate entity, 33%"

Hi!

I have been updating more servers in the past few days to Update 1 which went fine, but right now i'm at a customer where the upgrade fails.

1) I scan for updates on my update manager and it shows the server needs to be upgraded.

2) When pressing the "remediate" button, the lists contains some patches and upgrade 1

3) When i finalize the remediate screen, the task appears but stops at 33%

4) When checking the console of the ESX server, nothing happens.

Anyone that can help me out what is going on?

Regards,

Joris

0 Kudos
6 Replies
lnairn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Can you try to put the server in maintenance mode manually before remediate the host?

It seems that (if you have DRS enbled in the cluster) there are VM that can't be migrated, or you have VM orphaned in the inventory (is this is the case, remove from the inventory thouse VM)

0 Kudos
eveane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

can you post the last 20 lines of the update.log ?

can you post the build you were upgrading from ?

thanks

stephane

0 Kudos
Frans_P
Contributor
Contributor

I'm upgrading ESX4.0 to 4.0 update 1.

Funny thing is that after a day i come back at work and notice the hosts got updated. I guess it took a while before the installation process started...

I'll put the other ones in Maintenance mode now and see if they take as much time as the previous ones.

Joris

0 Kudos
eveane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

few question in mind :

do you have anhP machine ?

if so were the hp agent running ?

if you do an upgrade please turn off teh HP agent and then proceed.

0 Kudos
Krowten
Contributor
Contributor

I'm actually having this same problem. I had the issue with DRS, so I had to stop the remediation, move VMs, and then manually put the host in maintenance mode. I did that and ran remdiation, but it has been sitting at 33% for an hour now. Any ideas? Which log should I check? Thanks.

Matt

0 Kudos
eveane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

follow this kb :

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1016070

you should have the ansers. it is a dead lock between a process querying the rpm database and the upgrade process ...

good luck,

eveane

0 Kudos