VMware Cloud Community
nebyah
Contributor
Contributor

How to prevent VUM from downloading unwanted updates?

We have only ESX 3.5 servers. Is it possible to prevent VUM from downloading updates for 3.0.3 and Embedded ESX?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
petkom
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ben,

I don't think that there is a way to specify which patches to be downloaded. But as I know only 3.5 patches are downloaded locally. Only some metadata is being downloaded for 3.0.x, VMs patches, etc. The idea is if you start remediation with any specific patch 3.0.2 for instance then it is being downloaded and installed on the host

0 Kudos
nebyah
Contributor
Contributor

Full patches for all ESX versions are being downloaded here, not just metadata.

I wonder if this may be because I have been using the default baselines - "Critical Host Updates" and "Non-critical Host Updates" - which have the "Product" field under "Criteria" set to "All ESX".

So, I edited those baselines and specified "ESX 3.5.0" as the product.

I then deleted the EmbeddedESX folder from "hostupdate" under the VUM data store.

Following the next scheduled update the EmbeddedESX folder is back - all 2.5G of it.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

There's no way of picking specific patches for download unfortunately...

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
nebyah
Contributor
Contributor

I don't want to pick specific patches. I just want to prevent VUM from downloading patches for products I do not have. (EmbeddedESX, ESX 3.0.3). I also want to be able to delete the EmbeddedESX and ESX 3.0.3 patches from the repository, since I do not have these products.

I guess the Subject line does give the impression that I want to pick and choose specific patches, and to that degree I apologise. Here's what I meant to say:

We have ESX3.5

VUM is downloading all patches for ESX3.0.3 and EmbeddedESX3.5 as well as ESX3.5, NOT just the metadata.

How do we prevent this? And how do we delete the ESC3.0.3 and EmbeddedESX patches that have already been downloaded such that they will not be downloaded again next time the update is run?

I do not want to pick specific patches.

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Duncan - Does the same apply in vSphere? I hope not.

0 Kudos
jguidroz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I completely agree. VUM is tied to one vCenter server. If this one vCenter server is managing 28 ESX 3.5 hosts, why do I need ESX 3.0.3 or ESXi 3.5 patches? Shouldn't VUM know which products I need patches for since it utilizes vCenter? I would expect the same to occur when I have 28 ESXi hosts. I do not want to be downloading patches for ESX if I do not have any ESX hosts in my datacenter.

0 Kudos
petkom
Community Manager
Community Manager

this is already adressed in vSphere - VUM is getting only the patches for what you have into inventory and only the metadata for the rest

0 Kudos