VMware Cloud Community
MSFCH
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Plug-in VUM not in the correct version

Hello everybody,

I have recently migrated our infrastructure from ESX, vCenter, vSphere 5.1 to 5.5.0c

I also have uninstalled and installed the "vSphere Update Manager" with the version 5.5.0c

When I go in the Plug-in section of the "vCenter - vSphere client" I only have a plugin in version 5.1.0.13071 and I am unable to install (or activate) a version 5.5.

2014-06-06 10_09_50-Plug-in Manager.jpg

I firstly tried to disable the plugin (right-click in the above window) and "Re-register to vCenter Server" from the VMwareUpdateManagerUtility.exe found on the "vSphere Update Manager server".  ==> No success

I looked at the webpage http://IP_OF_MY_VCENTER/mob/?moid=ExtensionManager to try to find the VUM plugin. Unfortunately, I was unable to determine the name of the plugin in the following screen ==> No success

2014-06-06 10_42_42-Managed Object Browser.jpg

I then tried the followings from the "vSphere Update Manager server":

- launch the following command line from the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\ to try to update the plugin: vciinstallutils.exe -v IP_OF_MY_VCENTER_SERVER -p 80 - U root -P ROOT_PASSWORD -S extension.xml -C . -L . extupdate   ==> No success

- I also try the same command line but with other parameters like extdelete (to remove the extension) and extadd (to install the plugin)   ==> No success

Does someone has an idea that could enable me to install/register/activate the new version of the VUM plugin ?

Last important point: the actually installed plugin v5.1.0.13071 is functionnal. So....is there a problem in the version number displayed ?

Thanks in advance

Thierry

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MSFCH
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

This message to tell you I found the solution. In fact, I am really ashamed.

I have done the whole VUM installation process WITHOUT restarting my "vCenter - vSphere Client". That was it.

When I have restarted my "vCenter - vSphere Client" I was able to download and install v5.5.0.17854 of the VUM plugin. (as shown in the following screenshot).

2014-06-10 14_46_00-vCenter - vSphere Client.jpg

So the lesson for me is: "Always restart your vSphere Client when doing updates."

So sorry for the bothering and thank you all.

Thierry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just to be sure, is you VUM service up and running? Also, is every component upgraded including the vsphere client?

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
MSFCH
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Girish,

For the services, if you talk of the:

- "VMware vSphere Update Manager Service" it is configured to start automatically with the system and is up and running

- "VMware vSphere Update Manager UFA Service" it is configured to start manually, but it is up and running

If you are asking for an other one, please specify the name.

Concerning the versions of the environnement:

- ESX: Dell customized image ESXi-5.5-1331820(A00)     I forgot to mention this in my first message. I am looking for newest updates for this image.

- vCenter - vSphere Client: 5.5.0 build 1618071

- vCenter Server: 5.5.0 build 1750596

- vSphere Update Manager: installed with the VMware installation ISO "VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.5.0-1750597-20131201.iso", but I don't know where to find the exact version number for VUM

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
MSFCH
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

This message to tell you I found the solution. In fact, I am really ashamed.

I have done the whole VUM installation process WITHOUT restarting my "vCenter - vSphere Client". That was it.

When I have restarted my "vCenter - vSphere Client" I was able to download and install v5.5.0.17854 of the VUM plugin. (as shown in the following screenshot).

2014-06-10 14_46_00-vCenter - vSphere Client.jpg

So the lesson for me is: "Always restart your vSphere Client when doing updates."

So sorry for the bothering and thank you all.

Thierry

0 Kudos