VMware Cloud Community
bedobash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update Manager Download Service download problem

Everytime I run the vmware-umds --download, it always redownloads all available updates, including new ones and overwrites existing files with the same file. This takes atleast 3 hours. At the end, it replaces the all important "update_metadata.xml" file (currently 478kb) with a nearly blank 1k file.

1. Why is it truncating/clearing the update_metadata.xml file?

2. Every month when I run my batch files, it always redownloads all existing updates and then the new ones. Why can't I tell it to download new updates only?

3. When I try to script it from Scheduled tasks, the task will fail and not download new updates. I've removed and reinstalled UMDS a couple times with no luck. Currently I have a batch file that changes directory to the umds folder, and then run it with a --download switch (which works). And then I have another batch file that runs the export task.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bedobash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

does anyone know if there is a way to tell UMDS to download new updates ONLY?

For example, i had all updates through December 2008. How to I tell UMDS to only download files released after Dec 2008?

0 Kudos
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am only downloading the ESX patches.

I have tried to use the UMDS command line argument to specify a date range, but I still see all of the ESX patches being pulled down.

Including ESX 3.0.3. Using the -R option and a date range is supposed to pull down only what the range specifies.

In my case, I only wanted ESX patches from March 20.

Adding the following to the -R (re-download) command should have given me that, but it pulled them all down

-s 2009-03-20T00:00:00 -t 2009-03-20T23:59:59

There are no real good examples or syntax showing how to use the various arguments, so I have been experimenting.

Attached are the command line arguments.

If you get it to work, let me know.

Stan

0 Kudos
jperez2007
Contributor
Contributor

This issue has been already fixed and will be included in update 5

0 Kudos